Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Change Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bigdog1804

bigdog1804

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:35 AM

I have a new computer and it came with Windows 2000. I have a chopped up version of XP i want to install on it, but when i boot from the disk it lets me start then i get a blue screen telling me windows has had a problem and is shuuting down. I cant seem to get past this screen can some one help me fighure out what to do?

Edited by bigdog1804, 22 October 2005 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:38 PM

What do you mean by a "Chopped up" version of XP Bigdog?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

Are you referrring to a copy that does not need verification?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bigdog1804

bigdog1804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

No it needs a code to run. I have it one of my comps, but when i try to run it on the other i keep geeting an error message in the middle of instaltion. I dont have the original windows 2000 disk. Can any one help me figure out why one computer will take it and the other will not.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,826 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

No it needs a code to run. I have it one of my comps, but when i try to run it on the other i keep geeting an error message in the middle of instaltion. I dont have the original windows 2000 disk. Can any one help me figure out why one computer will take it and the other will not.

How many licenses do you have?

One license per computer is the requirement, even though the same CD can be used to install multiple computers (with each having its own license).

You might take a look at the Win 2K messages: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html.

Louis

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Well, exactly what does the error message say?

Could it be that you are installing this on the same partition that 2000 is installed on, and therefore it won't let you proceed with the installation?

Let us know exactly what the error message says, or document the steps that led up to it, k?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

Is there anything on that partition you want to save? the best way to install an OS is to format the partiton first to start with a clean slate

#8 bigdog1804

bigdog1804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:54 AM

Im trying to install a new partition. I boot from the CD and start the format, but at diffrent points in the middle of the install a blue screen pops up telling me windows is shutting down to protect its self.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

Tryhttp://www.download.com/Digital-Dolly/3000...tml?tag=lst-0-1]Digital Dolly[/url]. It's like Partition Magic but free. Download and burn to a disk. It will boot into ram and you will be abla to resize your partition.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:46 AM

Tryhttp://www.download.com/Digital-Dolly/3000...tml?tag=lst-0-1]Digital Dolly[/url]. It's like Partition Magic but free. Download and burn to a disk. It will boot into ram and you will be abla to resize your partition.

Hmmmm. I downloaded Digital Dolly and unzipped it, burned to a cd, and I can't get a computer to boot from this cd. What am I doing wrong? The boot sequence is correct, the computer looks to the cd first, but it just passes over it and boots to windows.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:17 AM

It's been a while since I made a cd from the .zip file but I believe you have to burn it as an .iso image. It will boot a linux GUI.
I'm at work today and won't be home till 0700hrs CST tuesday. I'll check it and let you know. It appears that the website that the company use to have is no more. It is still available thru DownLoad.com though.

#12 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:07 AM

Let me get this right Bigdog are you trying to run XP on 2 pc's?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users