Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connection (Among Other Things...)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Pancho13

Pancho13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi There;

I am operating on a Thinkpad T60P in Windows XP Professional. I am fairly computer literate, but still definitely need your help and guidance.

My Laptop is suspected of having a RootKit. My repair/service provider assured me that everything was cleaned when I took it in last week. However, upon return receipt, I noticed that I was still getting random web page openings, and, I could not access the Microsoft Updates site. I found your site and was following one of your postings http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ (step by step) to resolve the random web page openings, and I got as far as the GMER log, and my computer froze/crashed (during the process, I discovered that the DDS.scr file that I was to click on in my desktop did not activate the file but rather opened in a notepad program). When I restarted my laptop, I did not have wireless connection anymore. The error reported is: DHCP Server Not Responding.

So, I need to go through this methodically and fix not only my wireless connection, but the random e openings, and of course, I want to get to the bottom of what is plaguing my laptop and remove it once and for all.

Thanks. Please feel free to respond with requests for more information. I have a flash drive so I will be able to run programs if needed on the laptop and then save the log files to the flash drive to submit to you.

Thanks.

Frank Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users