Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SassySarah

SassySarah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

Hi there

I am having problems with Internet Explorer :thumbsup:

I double click from my desktop, the window comes up and say's "Web site found. Waiting for reply..." The green loading bar shows that it is loading but very very very slow and after quite a few minutes it say's that the website can't be found. Very weird as my home page is msn.com. Also because I am on AOL I use their browser and sometimes when I click on a link it brings up IE and the same thing happens.

Please can someone help me please, it is doing my head in :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:10 AM

Have you run any antivirus and spyware scans?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 SassySarah

SassySarah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

Have you run any antivirus and spyware scans?

I have just done a check and there was no infected files.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

What spyware scanners do you use?
What antivirus?
Try these online scans:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

a free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. a fills this gap.
ewido security suite - offers protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, you might need to do a repair/reinstall of internet Explorer;
How to Repair Internet Explorer

Edited by tg1911, 22 October 2005 - 10:39 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

Edit: tg already covered it.

Edited by Rimmer, 22 October 2005 - 10:44 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 SassySarah

SassySarah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

I have just spent all day doing the above and even did the steps of removing IE. I changed a couple of things on the registry the things from 1 to 0 to uninstall IE, I then rebooted my computer then when it started up it said that I had removed IE but when I got to my desktop it was still there so I tried installing IE and it said

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.

So how can that be after uninstalling IE????? :thumbsup: :flowers: I have wasted a day trying to get this sorted. It is weird though as a couple of months ago I signed up with MSN Music Manager and put some money on it, bought a couple of tracks and I have still got 4.60 on it but when I came to play the tracks on Windows Media Player they wouldn't play, there is a red exclamation mark next to the songs that I have bought and it say's they are protected. When I click on those songs it say's that

A security upgrade is required to play this file. Do you want to download this upgrade?

I click yes and after quite a few minutes of it saying

Downloading secuirty upgrade...

it just goes onto the next song to play and the song that I tried to play has a red exclamation mark next to it and when I click on it, it asks me again about downloading the security upgrade. Also I can't sign into MSN messenger either and I haven't got a clue why!!! It is very weird that it is all to do with microsoft. I am at my wits end and am ready to chuck this :trumpet: computer out of the window.............. :inlove:

P.S. I am a bit worried about the changes I made in the registry, do I need to go back and change them again????

Edited by SassySarah, 22 October 2005 - 06:08 PM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:28 AM

Suggestions:
  • Expect to waste a lot more than one day if you want to fix this.
  • Redo the Repair IE tutorial.
  • Forget about IE and download Firefox.
  • Dump Windows Media Player and install something like Winamp.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users