Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning From Norton Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joanne01

joanne01

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:27 AM

got HTTP Apache Redundant Slashes DoS attack warning via norton but it said The IP address belongs to a computer on your local network, therefore there is no public network or domain information what does that mean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

Are you using PCanywhere on your computer? Crizz44

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:51 PM

It means your maybe receiving a DoS (Denial of service) attack for a computer within your network. Are you running several computers on your home network/LAN? If so one may have a virus that is trying to flood you LAN with request in order to shut down you network connection. The attack is usally aimed at servers. Are you running a server? It could also be a false positive. Something on your LAN could be precived as a DoS but may not be. Are you running a firewall program? I recommend SyGate Personal Edition, which I use, or Zone Alarm to secure your affected computer. It will alert you to with computer is lauching the DoS, if in fact one is taking place. It is protection you should have at any rate.

FYI: The firewall programs will be a pain the first few days until you answer the alerts for the normal programs running. Once the firewall loggs you preferences this will slow down.

Let us know what you find.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 joanne01

joanne01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:24 AM

Hi i just have one computer and have a normal firewall it was coming up when i visit certain sites.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:09 AM

You need to be a little more specific to enable people to give the best advice - what 'normal' firewall do you have?

Did you check in 'Add/Remove Programs' to see if PCAnywhere was listed?

I'd suggest that the message means the DoS attack came from a spoofed non-routable (local) IP address and therefore Norton has no further information about the source of the attack. This is a guess on my part.
I would also suggest that the attack was aimed at your ISP (or some computer using your ISP) rather than at your specific computer.

I don't know what advice you have had previously or your level of expertise so I will just point out these basic security steps:
You need several types of protection to secure your system on the internet these days:
1. Anti-virus; 2. Firewall; 3. Anti-Spyware; 4. Windows Updates.

Have a look in the Tutorials section for ways to keep your system secure on the internet :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:21 AM

You need several types of protection to secure your system on the internet these days:
1. Anti-virus; 2. Firewall; 3. Anti-Spyware; 4. Windows Updates.

Hey Rimmer, I completely agree with you, but would add one more type of protection that is needed, and that is "Safe Behavior". As you know, a well protected computer's defenses can be defeated by a wrong click of the user, downloading something 'free' or visiting the wrong site, etc.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users