Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell launches its own Secure Browser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Dell has released its own browser based on the Firefox platform, called the Dell KACE Secure Browser. The Secure Browser uses virtualization technology to provide a safer web experience to users and organizations.

When using the Secure Browser any changes or malicious files inadvertently downloaded from the Internet are contained within the secure browser, keeping the underlying OS and computer secure from hostile changes. Any changes resulting from browser activity may be quickly and easily reset to effectively “undo” such changes and return it to its initially installed state.

snip-

Features:

* Provides a virtualized and contained Firefox v3.6 Browser with Adobe Reader and Flash plug-ins
* Rapidly reset any changes made during normal use back to their initial state, enabling easy recovery from infections or attacks
* View statistics related to the number of processes detected and blocked
* Set white and black lists to limit access to known good sites, or prevent access to known bad sites to further limit the risk of attack and infection.

Its a 73.5 MB download and you are required to furnish your name & email id.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dell-launche...3#ixzz0uJVXvmiT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi Union Thug
Is this the equivalent of having a browser with sandboxie or a virtual machine built in?
Sounds like a wonderful idea. I have wondered why other browsers did not do this before.
What might be the potential downside??
Regards
Nawtheasta

#3 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

I think i will just stick to Opera. I wonder why more people don't use it.
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

I have read a little about this on the Dell site. Called Dell KACE. Seems like it is a Firefox based browser with a VM built in?? Could this be the “perfect” uninfectable browser? :thumbsup: ?Would be great to hear from others who would be more knowledgeable then I.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

Yes, it is Firefox with some kind of Sandbox technology. This is equivalent to running Firefox inside Sandboxie. I would not recommend anyone to use it, since it uses older version of Firefox which has known vulnerabilities. Instead, you can use latest Firefox inside Sandboxie for the same effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users