Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd XP account for using PC as DAW

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GreenEyezzz

GreenEyezzz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hey,

I am also using my PC as a digital audio workstation and I recently installed anti malware/virus software found in one of your lists (thx for that btw).
Problem is now that when recording parts on my PC, sometimes the recording program has a hick-up (because of the malware soft or virusscanner doing something I assume) and
off course that is unacceptable when recording audio ;-)

I used to unplug my network cable and then shut down all malware/antivuris/firewall programs but that is not really "safe" I think, surely there must be another way.

I am now thinking of making a new account in XP, with the network adapter disabled (so internet access is impossible I assume) and no virusscanners etc... running
so that my recording related software is the only thing running.

Is that safe or are there any other ways to accomplish what I want?

thx in advance... again ;-)

ps, I used this guide as a guideline : http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/det...php?Index=30058

Sven

Edited by GreenEyezzz, 21 July 2010 - 06:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:21 AM

as long as your not hooked up to the internet it is perfectly safe to turn off your anti virus software, there is no chance of being infected. Just remember to turn it back on when you start surfing the web again. The Other option, that would allow you to have internet access, is to check your firewall, and set it to ignore your recording software, as its whats most likely causing the hiccups. What firewall and antivirus are you using?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users