Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Reinstall From The Programs Directory ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldsoldier

oldsoldier

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:24 AM

Gentlemen/Ladies,

I am soon to change my OS from Windows XP Professional to Windows XP Home.

Five months ago I purchased and registered the Family Tree Maker 2000 programme. Later, I disposed of many surplus floppies and old programme discs and the new master disc for Family Tree Maker 2000 went with them into a refuse bin. I need a new FTM disc but feel reluctant to buy one.

FTM 2000 was installed in my c:/programs directory. It is still there. If I burn it onto a disc with Nero Burning Rom, will I be able to reinstall it from that disc when I have my new Windows XP Home operating system ?

Yours sincerely, oldsoldier.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:30 AM

Its not likely, unless its a completely self contained program. When you install a program it registers .dll's and creates registry entries that won't be present if you simply copy the program file directory.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:44 AM

Er - why would you want to do that?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 oldsoldier

oldsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

Er - why would you want to do that?

I thought that someone would ask that question. This is a good computer but its XP Pro has not been validated and I cannot get updates, so I have purchased XP Home Edition which includes Service Pack 2 and I am waiting for it to be installed. I am an uncomplicated computer person and I feel that I do not need the XP Pro goodies. XP Home should suit me fine. I spend 95% of my time transcribing old documents into Word, 3% playing simple solitaire, and 2% on the internet. Windows 98SE and Microsoft Office Word were perfectly adaquate for that but I was persuaded to change to XP Pro and I cannot say that I have seen many benefits.

oldsoldier

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:25 AM

Could this help? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Family-Tree-Maker-...1QQcmdZViewItem
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

Could this help? If you go to http://www.morpheus.com/ and download their file sharing software and do a search for "Family Tree Maker ". I found a bunch of copies there.
If you already purchased a copy one should be able to download a backup copy legitimately. Just be sure you virus scan the downloaded file when you get it as these sites often contain unwanted gifts. But if your virus scanner is up to date you should be OK, at least I've never had a problem.
Good luck.
Floyd

Edited by floyd, 22 October 2005 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users