Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Is Choppy While Listening To Dvd's And Cd's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bryan5255

bryan5255

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:59 AM

My sound is choppy while listening to DVD's and CD's. If I copy the DVD or CD to my computer and then play it the sound work just fine. Both CD and DVD games work on my CD/DVD player. I think that the problem is either with my CD/DVD player or my sound card, but I don't want to go out and buy any new hardware until I know what the problem is. I use Windows XP and the 'Sound, video and game controllers' devices that are listed in Device Manager are: Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device, Ralted AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller, Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Media Control Devices, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Video Codecs. If any further information would help please tell me. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

how much memory does your system have?
Posted Image

#3 A helper

A helper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:40 AM

I may have had the same sound problem -- I discovered that my problem was that the DVD drive was reverting to PI0 transfer method rather than using DMA. The PIO transfer method can give choppy or "thumping" audio from both CD's and DVD's.

On Windows XP If you go to the "System" control pannel, then "hardware" then "device manager" then "IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers" then double click on "primary ide channel" (also be sure to check "secondary ide channel") then "advanced" and see if transfer mode is DMA or PIO. If it is set to PIO it may be hard to change back. There is a page that describes how to force PIO to change it back to DMA at: http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

Good Luck!

#4 bryan5255

bryan5255
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:36 PM

I updated my drivers and everything seams to be working fine. thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users