Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing a PC from a domain?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Ok at work I had to reformat a computer we have been having trouble with and first I removed the computer from our domain at work by putting it in WORKGROUP. After that i proceeded to reformat and reinstall XP on the workstation after doing all that I re assigned the pc its IP address and re added it to our domain to put it back on the network. it showed that i successfully added to the domain and it needed a restart, so i did that and signed in with my windows account and it seemed fine but when i went to another pc to try to remote in it was like it wasnt on the network an it would not connect. So i had to rename the pc and add the new name to the domain then it worked. I dont understand why it wouldnt work with the previos name there was not another pc named that. its like it was on the network but thenagain not. can anyone give me so do's and dont's when it comes to taking off and putting back on a computer on the domain?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

When you take a computer off of the domain for a reformat, you need to remove it from the Domain Controller as well. This ensures that no other PC sees a "shadow" of that PC. Then when it rejoins the Domain, just check to make sure it shows up properly in the Domain Controller as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users