Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoHard24

GoHard24

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

I've been looking everywhere for somebody who can advise me with a solution to my problem and although this might not be the most appropriate place for this, hopefully somebody can help.

Specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/l1hEqku7uSFNIiqId5jAZog

I built my computer about 8 months ago. For the first 5 months it worked flawlessly but recently (April/May) it has been randomly freezing. Here are some details:
Happens most often while ANY browser is open.
Doesn't matter if the computer was just turned on or has been on for a day.
Is completely random. May occur twice in 5 mins and then not occur for another 30 mins.
Freeze occurs in two periods. First it freezes for about 20 seconds, then it unfreezes for about 5, and freezes again for 20 seconds or so.
I've tried uninstalling all kinds of software, reformatting, installing 64 bit of windows 7 etc and am starting to believe it's some kind of hardware failure.
I can move my mouse and sound usually works while the graphics are completely frozen.

More information can be provided. Can anybody PLEASE help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Usually when a computer starts freezing up for no apparent reason after months of normal use, it is a sign that dust has accumulated inside the computer and it found its way into the processors heat sink. This prevents the heat produced from the processor's core from being released into the heat sink and into the air.

Dust acts like insulation and holds the heat back from exiting the heat sink, to the point the core of the processor reaches an unstable, unsafe level.

With that being said, I suggest you open the computers case and inspect the cooling fans through out the case for dust. Pay close attention to the processor cooling fan and the heat sink below the cooling fan for dust embedded in the fins.

Check the video card for a heat sink or cooling fan and make sure there is no dust there as well.

If you see dust clogs or dust build up, you can get a can of compressed air sold in most places that sell computer supplies or parts.

You can use the compressed air to blow the dust out of the heat sinks and out of the computer case.

Please use caution when doing this procedure, that you do not blow motherboard jumpers off of their connectors, because the compressed air can release a lot of pressure when the valve is first pressed open.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 norwood781

norwood781

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Seconding MrBruce1959.

Be sure everything is cleaned out so that proper air flow can cool your system. It sounds like it's overheating and shutting itself down.

Also, are you doing any overclocking? If so, that will add to any extra heating going on.

It's odd that you can move the mouse around, though, if the problem is overheating. Usually everything stops.

Edited by norwood781, 21 July 2010 - 01:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users