Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt or missing file preventing startup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nitro1

nitro1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section or not, but I don't think the computer is infected with any virus or malware, so I figured I'd give this one a try. Please move it if it isn't in the correct section.

It is my father's computer, so I'm not sure what the cause could be, all he said was that the tower sounded louder than usual, and that he figured it may have been the fan. The computer was unresponsive, so he powered it down.

When I attempted to start the computer, I received a black screen with the message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe,
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I powered it down, and started it up again, this time hitting F10 to enter system recovery, and received a blue screen with this message:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I was searching through looking for a similar situation, and only really found the Xp Boot "fixes" topic, but wanted to see if anyone could guide me through it before I burn the iso of the recovery xp recovery console and try messing around with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hi, take a look:

C0000218 Registry File Failure - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Louis

#3 nitro1

nitro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Thank you for the response. As far as I know, this computer has an OEM-installed version of XP. I tried the last known good configuration, but upon rebooting, I received the same message about the missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file. Any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

I guess that I'm missing the point...Windows gets damaged, no matter what version is installed.

When that happens, a user has basically three choices...replace the damaged Windows components manually (usually using the Recovery Console) or doing a repair install (replaces all system files) or do a clean install.

OEM-installed versions of Windows differ primarily in the options made available to the user...for repair/reinstall of XP. Some provide the XP Recovery Console, some don't.

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#5 nitro1

nitro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

It is a Compaq s3010cl

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=311371

The fact that the file named...is different from the one reflected in your system...is immaterial. It's the same problem and you just substitute the file named in your error message...for the one named in the HP solution.

If you do not have a recommended CD for executing the repair attempt...then I suggest that you contact HP about recovery/restore disks...or borrow a MS Genuine XP CD that will allow you to do the suggested repair.

Louis

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

ntoskrnl.exe article...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=311371

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 nitro1

nitro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the links. I'm at work all day, but will try it hopefully later tonight and let you know how it goes.

#9 nitro1

nitro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

I have attempted this method, used a burned image of the recovery console, but the option to select the recovery console was never available. Not using the recovery console method, and attempting the F10 route, takes me to the blue screen I mentioned in my original post. I intend to get in contact with HP about a proper CD. Any other possible solutions to attempt until I manage to do obtain the CD?

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:23 AM

Depends what you want.

If you just want to get at data, or have a working computer, boot up with a Linux Live CD (e.g. Ubuntu)
until you get an HP or Windows disk to correct the problems.

#11 nitro1

nitro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Depends what you want.

If you just want to get at data, or have a working computer, boot up with a Linux Live CD (e.g. Ubuntu)
until you get an HP or Windows disk to correct the problems.

HP has more or less told me I'm S.O.L., so I think my next step will be to clear all the files off of it. Is there a guide or tutorial anywhere for using a Linux Live CD?

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Sorry, took your topic off my list, as mine was just a btw comment.

Download

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

It's about a 700MB download of the ISO, which you need to burn to a CD;
if you are not familiar with ISOs, you can't just copy the file to a CD, it has to be burned correctly.

Programs for burning ISOs - ( ImgBurn is popular, but do not install the Ask Toolbar ):

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

You don't have to install, you just boot up with the CD and select the appropriate option,
(ignoring the Install option), from the Menu. (run from CD, test the program, whatever).

At this point, you can select and transfer your data to a flash drive.

The program should recognise all your drives, incl external.

If it doesn't, you could try Linux Mint, another popular distro.

You'll find loads of info at the above link and you can keep the CD for future emergencies.
You don't need to update every time there's a new distro.

Furthermore, if you decide to ditch MS, you can install the program from the CD.

#13 nitro1

nitro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but figured I would give an update and check to see if anyone has any more advice. I attempted to use Ubuntu, didn't have much luck with it though as most of my files didn't appear to be there. I did manage to obtain an XP CD, and have been able to get into the Recovery Console. Upon trying the methods at the links posted earlier, I've been unsuccessful and was hoping for some more guidance.

When I start the Recovery Console, it asks which Windows installation I would like to go onto.

The options are 1: D:\MiniNT, 2: D:\i386 and 3: C:\WINDOWS

When I had initially attempted the expanding of the ntoskrnl.exe, I only had the options of 1 and 2. Not too sure why option 3 is there now. I tried expanding the file on all three, C:\WINDOWS was the only one that said it was done succesfully.

I have run chkdsk /p /r on all three of these, c:\WINDOWs being the only one that said errors were detected and repaired. Upon startup now, I believe I no longer get the message about ntoskrnl.exe. However, a blue screen quickly flashes before the computer restarts on its own. Unable to see any of the words in this quick process. When I start up hitting F10, I still receive the same error as noted in my original post.

Hamluis or anyone else have any input on what I should try now? Also, let me know if there is any other info I can provide. Thanks

Edited by nitro1, 25 July 2010 - 09:12 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

I don't think there's anything useful I can state that hasn't already been stated by someone.

Since you have an HP system...the recovery disks they provide are pretty much your best alternative, IMO.

Louis

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

As Linux disks read the drives without any interference from the Windows OS, it is troubling to note
that your files do not appear to be there.

I would try again with a different Linux disk, but that's just what I would do, to be certain.
I always keep two, Ubuntu and Linux Mint, as a double check.

Of course, if your files have been corrupted by the 'breakdown' there's little hope
and the best you can do is go the route recommended by Hamluis to get your system back.

Hopefully, you have backups of most of your data.

We are assuming (perhaps it is wrong to do so), that your drive is OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users