Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Internet Explorer 6 obsolete?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

All over the internet I find banners telling me that I must upgrade to Internet Explorer 8. The Weather Channel site even goes so far as to state that, as of 1 July 2010 they would no longer support Internet Explorer 6.

Unfortunately, the OS on the (third-hand) computer that I have is Windows ME, which can not support Internet Explorer 8.

Does anyone have any idea how much longer I will be able to limp through the internet using IE 6, before it becomes completely unuseable?

Is the only solution to buy a new computer (that I can not afford) with IE 8 as the browser?
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

Unfortunately Windows ME is obsolete as well, so you're stuck with obsolete browser.
Even with Firefox, you can't use higher version, than 2.0, which is not supported anymore either.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, Broni.

So, does anyone have any idea how much longer I will be able to limp through the internet using IE 6, before it becomes completely unuseable, and I absolutely have to buy a new computer?
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Well, IE will keep working no matter what. It's just not very secure program.
You may do better with Firefox 2.0: http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/5015/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

The only updated browser that still supports Windows 98/Me is K-Meleon. It is based on the same Gecko engine as Firefox.

#6 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks to both Broni and Romeo29 for replying.
I will look into the K-Meleon browser.

I am just afraid, that one day I will find, that I can no longer access the internet using IE 6.
Laffnmule's Lode

#7 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

I too currently use IE6. I'm waiting as long as possible to upgrade to IE8, due to the problems with IE7. The restricted access seems to be coming from only a few sources, such as Google, You Tube, etc. and others possibly linked with them are playing along, near as I can tell. It all came about in response to Chinese hackers, far as I know.

I just got a couple of recent IE6 security patches from Microsoft's website a couple of weeks ago.

It would be very difficult as well as unwise to completely lock out IE6 because a truly vast number of business computers rely on that version in their OS's. To slam the door on all these high profile mega-buck business clients would be downright disastrous financially. Solely because of that I don't think you have too much to worry about for a good long while.
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Thanks to both Broni and Romeo29 for replying.
I will look into the K-Meleon browser.

I am just afraid, that one day I will find, that I can no longer access the internet using IE 6.

Windows ME is based upon the DOS kernel and is no longer supported by Microsoft (ended July 2006). Something that old and no longer patched/updated is VERY insecure. You should really think about getting a new computer. You can get one for as little as $400. It will be much faster and use a state of the art OS in Windows 7.

If you insist that you cannot afford it, I would back up your data and put Linux Mint on that computer. It will run and it will be a lot safer.

I too currently use IE6. I'm waiting as long as possible to upgrade to IE8, due to the problems with IE7. The restricted access seems to be coming from only a few sources, such as Google, You Tube, etc. and others possibly linked with them are playing along, near as I can tell. It all came about in response to Chinese hackers, far as I know.

I just got a couple of recent IE6 security patches from Microsoft's website a couple of weeks ago.

It would be very difficult as well as unwise to completely lock out IE6 because a truly vast number of business computers rely on that version in their OS's. To slam the door on all these high profile mega-buck business clients would be downright disastrous financially. Solely because of that I don't think you have too much to worry about for a good long while.

Business computers run IE6 because of web application compatibility. Those applications should be updated and businesses should not run IE6.

Edited by JonM33, 31 July 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#9 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Business computers run IE6 because of web application compatibility. Those applications should be updated and businesses should not run IE6.

'Should' is the operative word. Doesn't mean it's terribly likely to happen in companies with hundreds or thousands of machines and a very thin bottom line on overhead.

Also some are like me, of the opinion that the main problem is planned obsolescence and corporate greed rather than true lack of an effective fix for perceived or real problems.

With the right Firewall, Antivirus and other protections there is no security problem whatsoever. I'ts all the same old thing: 'Follow the money...'

For that matter I actually suspect that some virus & trojans originate in some companies who just happen to have the handy-dandy fix awaiting the marketplace.

When you come right down to it: it's really pretty hard to believe there are THAT MANY people of a weird & perverted mindset and posessed of the necesary skills to spend all their intellectual powers and energy inventing rogue programs that destroy total stranger's and friend's computers, isn't it? Just doesn't add up unless you 'Follow the money'....
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#10 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

With the right Firewall, Antivirus and other protections there is no security problem whatsoever. I'ts all the same old thing: 'Follow the money...'

Actually, there is a security problem. Old software that is no longer patched and updated has flaws in it that can be bypassed without even using viruses or malware. The DOS kernel is one of the most insecure in the world. Everything has "full control" in DOS because files do not have NTFS permissions. Any process can write to any file or folder.

Regarding money, he could easily put Linux Mint on there (free) and not have to pay anything and it would be up to date with modern software with all updates.

Edited by JonM33, 31 July 2010 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users