Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Speed Windows ???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnySH

JohnnySH

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

hello

and thanks in advance for any help / feed back

Ok a few years ago just at the start or windows XP pre SP1 I got badley infected with sassa virus and count down timers that deleted the ntldr file from the root of c drive, it caused all sorts of problems at the time spread over the whole network on every machine / server.

At the time I cleared down every machine re formated every drive and cleaned each machine one by one to clear this nasty off every machine,

That was years ago and since then we have had sp 1,2,3 for windows XP

I still suffer with a very strange side effect from the days of being infected, which is all my machine on my network vary in speed / how fast they feel when clicking in windows, even freshly installed machines with very little software and no anti virus software still feel as if they speed up and slow down, sometime they feel real fast other times they just feel real sluggish ?? for no reason

and it all seems to go back to the time of being infected years ago, It may not be related ??

It almost feel sluggish like a remote admin program has slowed down the machines at times, though I have wiped and reinstalled windows many times,

1) could anything have been left behind even after trying most new antivirus programs / rootkit / etc. ?

2) could it be related to my internet connection quality, can this slow down and speed up the feel of windows ? I am on a 50meg Virgin service but the DNS can be very slow at times (Slow webpage)

3) In the past other people have said check your mains supply ??? but I don't feel this holds mauch water as the PC power supplies are designed to work from 90v - 260v !

4) I know sp1 slowed down and did many major changes to XP and I can only imagine SP2, 3 followed similar, could it be from sp1 this issue has ocoured ?

Its hard to describe but sometime I turn on my machines and they fly in speed and other times they do not for no reason that is apparent ? I have tried every type of antivirus/rootkit and so on and nothing is ever found,

This has been going on many years now and I would love to get to the bottom of it,

I also notice it on my window 7 machine, sometime fast sometimes slow, Its comon on all machines in my home, and I know someone will say it the mains power, but I have done test and all looks good

Could this be some clever nasty or maybe my internet provider causing a sluggish feel with my networked machines ??

Any help will be very much appreciated

Even tonight my machine feels much faster in every way than it did the last time I used it ?? its crazy why is this?
even when it feels slow NO services are being used in task manager i.e. idel is at 99% and this has no antivirus as I have just installed windows and all updates ??

Edited by JohnnySH, 20 July 2010 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

no virus I have ever heard of can survive a complete wipe and re-install. I would discard the virus idea. If the slowdowns only occur when accessing internet content then perhaps your ISP is toblame. However if the slow/fast occurs when working only over the network with no internet access there is some kind of bottleneck in your network hardware.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

"Feel" is a very inexact term.

The efficiency with which a system functions...varies according to hardware installed, known problems, programs installed, free space on system partition...and any number of other things.

Other than that...I don't know what to tell you, other than the premise that a clean install...when properly done...should remove the vast majority of malware items. That's why it is called a "clean install."

Often...anything less than a clean install...is not going to be effective in overcoming malware and the effects of infection and removal on the system.

Louis

#4 JohnnySH

JohnnySH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for your reply

Yes I understand feel is hard to describe, when I say I have done fresh installs on my machine, I mean even to the extent of using kill disc / deban to Military wiping standards !!

All my hardware is high spec, lots of memory, fast processors good motherboards and so on

This problem seems related to all machines,

common factors are

1) Mains Power Electricity,
2) Microsoft
3) Me (I have installed every machine, and I do know about computers, updating bios, intstalling chip sets, updating drivers and so on
4) 1 gibit network, though had same problem with 100base network and my old cisco 48 chan switch
5) Internet, could varying internet quality / performance cause windows to speed up and slow down ??? or give the feel of this when clicking around windows and launching applications in windows, on every computer I have sometimes they fly and are very fast and other times they feel much more sluggish

I don't know whether something really clever and steathy that can jump to every machine on my network or if it something else, its been driving me crazy for years and nothing seems to find it ???

so I now wonder what else this can be or if I just expect to much from windows ??, I would be much happier if every machine I had felt at a more constant performance feel.

Edited by JohnnySH, 20 July 2010 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users