Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop - BSOD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lohryx5

lohryx5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hello all. I desperately need some help with my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, Windows XP. Everything was working fine up until about 4 days ago when I was prompted to update Ad-Aware. During the update, the install flaked out. At some point soon after I got the first blue screen (see image LaptopBlueScreen1). I was able to reboot the laptop, uninstall Ad-Aware, and start over with a fresh install. Things seemed to be working fine again.

Posted Image

Then, a couple days later, I woke up to a new blue screen (see image LaptopBlueScreen2). I've tried to do as it says by rebooting the computer but it goes right back to the same blue screen almost immediately during the Dell boot screen (the blue bar scrolling at bottom of screen). It says I should try to disable/uninstall an anti-virus, disk defrag, or backup utilities. I can't even get it to start in Safe mode. Nor can I get to a prompt where I can run the CHKDSK /F.

Posted Image

Appreciate any help you all can offer. If there is any other information needed to help, please let me know. Thanks again.

V/R,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

STOP 24 error...could be bad NTFS file system, bad hard drive, or bad ntfs.sys file.

Preliminary step, I would try to run chkdsk /r on the partition (from the XP Recovery Console).

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&doclang=en

Louis

#3 lohryx5

lohryx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Louis. Since I don't have an installation disk, I'll have to try to look for one online. Do you know of a reliable source?

#4 lohryx5

lohryx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

I was able to acquire a Windows XP disk and booted from it in order to run the Recover Console. From there, I ran CHKDSK /R as recommended. The results came back with "Found & fixed one or more errors on volume."

After that, I rebooted the computer and everything seemed to start up fine. I did, however, get a few messages that popped:

The application or DLL: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation disk.

Then:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\sscommon\common\snapins\shell\ss_shell.htm.' Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Then:

An application error has occurred...
Error: Script error
Page: file:///C/

And it disappeared before I could finish writing it down.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

Script errors are unimportant, nothing a user can do about such. Most of us probably disable reporting such.

To manually disable script debugging in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Start Internet Explorer. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

On the Advanced tab, under the Browsing section, click to select the Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) check box and the Disable script debugging (Other) check box if it is present.

Click OK, and then restart your computer.

Since you have an XP CD now...I'd also suggest doing a repair install of XP. Note that you need to use a CD which reflects the same SP as your current system. If the system has SP3, then SP3 must be included on the CD.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#6 lohryx5

lohryx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Okay, well the problem seemed to go away for a while...but now it's back. I followed the directions on How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm and everything looked like it was going well. Entered the serial key, the install continued, but now it's at the Windows boot screen and locked up. Instead of the left-to-right scrolling boot "timer"...it simply says "Please wait..." and the cursor is an hourglass. It's been like that for hours and I do not hear the drive spinning. I tried to shut the computer down (hard power off) and restart, letting it just boot on its own...but it just gets to my desktop background image with no icons or anything at all. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Fortunately, I think I saved all of my files to an external drive the last time the laptop was working right. Is there any way to repair Windows as currently installed or am I going to have to reformat and do a complete install? I'd rather not if possible, but definitely appreciate any help and guidance you all can provide. Thanks.

V/R,
John

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

You can use the XP install CD to try to repair the install.

You want to run the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

If you have a Microsoft Genuine Windows XP install CD, the Recovery Console can be accessed by booting from the Windows XP CD.

It will take its time loading the setup but eventually you will see the Welcome to Setup screen.

Enter the letter r. You want to repair, not install.

The screen will then show a numbered list of all your Windows installations (most people will have only one.) It will ask, "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?" Unless you have a multi-boot system, enter the number "1". Hit Enter.

Next line will ask for password...just hit Enter.

Then type chkdsk /r (exactly as shown here) on the next line and hit Enter.

The command will execute, when finished will provide a graphical summary of info, followed by the command prompt.

Type EXIT and hit Enter, the system will then reboot and try to boot into XP.

Louis

#8 Pajtim

Pajtim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

I recommend u to download Hirens boot cd it resolvs most of prbs .

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

NOTE To ALL MEMBERS: Earlier this year, some of the rules changed regarding the legalities involved in using certain repair/diagnostic tools which could be linked to Microsoft.

Hiren's and the .iso downloads of the XP Recovery Consoles were the primary tools affected, but included were tools such as OTLPE.

Some of you may have noticed that these tools were formerly freely available on the Web...and have now been removed from many (if not all) of the websites which formerly made these tools available. This removal took place for the same reasons that we have changed our website policy regarding these items.

Because these tools are ready-made WinPE environments that contain copyrighted files, Microsoft interprets the use these types of ready-made images/tools...as violations of the XP EULA.

The recommendation of these tools, by forum members/staff...even though we are not hosting them...could cause us to have secondary liability for copyright infringement. I'm sure that none of us want that.

That being the case, the forum policy is that the recommendation of tools such as Hiren's Boot CD, the .iso download of the Recovery Console, and OTLPE...is not to be done by any member of the forums here at Bleeping Computer.

Please refrain from recommending such as a solution to any member posting a computer situation and seeking assistance here at Bleeping Computer.

We understand that such has been done with good intent...but good intent cannot overturn/undermine an existing BC policy.

Thank you for understanding :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users