Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor resolutions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jon-9

jon-9

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

I have a few basic questions about replacing my CRT monitor with an LCD.

I use my PC mainly for word processing, and my current resolution of 1024 x 768 (4:3 aspect) seems to be optimal.

I've read that LCD monitors give best image quality at their recommended native resolution. So with a 19" widescreen monitor whose native resolution is 1440 x 900, I'm wondering if the text size will be too small. And if I decrease the resolution to increase the text size, how much will the image degrade?

For someone using word processing pgms much of the time, is a native resolution lower than 1440 x 900 recommended?

Appreciate any advice--there's alot I don't know about monitors.

PS: I have onboard video--chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have sold countless monitors to customers with the same need....

LCD monitors for the most part are wide screen and the resolution will always "Auto Adjust" for best quality, when you change resolutions settings.

Good-luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Just a note...the monitor resolution is only half of the equation...you need to adjust your system resolution to either the same or as close as possible to the monitor resolution, not the reverse. You may have to update your video drivers to do such.

Louis

#4 jon-9

jon-9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

Just a note...the monitor resolution is only half of the equation...you need to adjust your system resolution to either the same or as close as possible to the monitor resolution, not the reverse. You may have to update your video drivers to do such.
Louis

Excellent point, thank you.

Any opinion on Asus monitors? For basic everyday home/office use, their 19" widescreens look pretty good; priced under $130.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users