Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Failure?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hhw123

hhw123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

I've been working on my first computer and everything was plugged in right and working. I think that somehow I blew the power supply because I had installed windows and had clicked on my name on the account screen but then the computer turns off and makes a click sound. The plug from the battery/surge protector to the wall was using a 3-prong adapter that I thought was grounded and the battery/ surge protector is kind of old. There is no power going to the mouse or keyboard so and the lights don't turn on so there must be either no power getting to the power supply (something wrong with the plug or battery) or the power supply is blown. My psu is 500w and came in my aspire case so it isn't weak but I do have a lot in my case.
Specs:
amd 64 4000+
4 GB ocz ram
evga nvidia 7800 gtx
asus amd A8N-Sli motherboard
2 dvd drives
2 300 GB hard drives
2 fans on power supply
4 fans in case
1 cpu fan
Any suggestions to what is wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:43 PM

Is your surge protector also a UPS (uninteruptibiblebable power supply)? If so it just can't supply enough current to your monster. Try it plugging the PC into the wall directly (but unplug it when you've finished testing).

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 21 October 2005 - 11:43 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 hhw123

hhw123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:16 PM

Is your surge protector also a UPS (uninteruptibiblebable power supply)? If so it just can't supply enough current to your monster. Try it plugging the PC into the wall directly (but unplug it when you've finished testing).

hth :thumbsup:

Yep I tried that still didn't work. I think the knob for the fan control was way down and the fans weren't on. I think the power supply overheated.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Usually fans on the PSU are independant of fan speed controls so I would not have thought that was the problem. I would suggest you switch off and unplug the power. Unplug the power cord from your tower also. Disconnect all the hard drives and optical drives and case fans and remove all cards except the display adaptor and one stick of RAM. Then plug the power cord firmly back into the PSU, connect and switch on. If nothing happens I would take your PSU in for testing. If you do get lights and fans then switch off and replace your extras one at a time - thee may be one device which is causing a problem or the whole combination may be just too much for the PSU.

Let us know how you go :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 hhw123

hhw123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

Usually fans on the PSU are independant of fan speed controls so I would not have thought that was the problem. I would suggest you switch off and unplug the power. Unplug the power cord from your tower also. Disconnect all the hard drives and optical drives and case fans and remove all cards except the display adaptor and one stick of RAM. Then plug the power cord firmly back into the PSU, connect and switch on. If nothing happens I would take your PSU in for testing. If you do get lights and fans then switch off and replace your extras one at a time - thee may be one device which is causing a problem or the whole combination may be just too much for the PSU.

Let us know how you go :thumbsup:

Thanks I'll try that. Here is a link to my psu. It has it's own fan control knob just for the two fans on it.
http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=64

#6 hhw123

hhw123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

I tried what you said and it still doesn't work. I'm ordering a replacement psu and If that one doesn't work I guess I'll take it somewhere to be checked out. Thanks for your help.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

That's a very smooth looking system!

I just can't believe they would design a cooling system which has an "I'd like to fry this thing to scrap" setting. Whatever happened to safety cutouts, automatic overrides, etc., etc.?

Good luck with the new PSU. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users