Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

I have an ABIT MB and have been using a 80 gig SATA drive which recently died. I bought a WD 640 GB drive and it is not recognized at all. This is a 98SE machine and it has a native RAID that even though it does not work will find the old drive, but the new one does not show up at all in the RAID. Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

Although a single drive RAID is possible...the typical configuration for a system does not employ such.

There is no reason to specify RAID functionality in the BIOS.

What model motherboard?

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

On such an older machine it could be the drive is too large to be recognized by the bios. please list the make and model of the computer and the motherboard so we can check out your bios.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Windows 98 use the FAT32 file system and is therefore limited to 127 gig
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;184006

Aslo you will need the updated fdisk to partition a drive >64 gig.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263044

I dont know if 98 will support RAID at all
Never tried it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

Typically a machine that was built in the days of Windows 98 would only recognize around 129 GB of larger drive that is larger than 130 GB.

This restriction would also be implemented in the motherboard's BIOS firmware and motherboards chip set.

So lets say even if you put Windows XP or Windows Vista on this computer, the BIOS will still have that hard drive size restriction.

Sometimes a BIOS update may allow for larger drives to be recognized, but you would have to check the support web site for this information.

As much as an OS has a restriction on drive size, you have to realize the motherboard's BIOS plays a major factor here as well.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 July 2010 - 05:56 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

The computer has an Abit KV8 PRO mb. It has been running with an 80GB SATA drive running 98SE.

I took this drive to another computer and it recognized the drive so I put an 80GB partition on the drive, formatted it to fat32 and set it active.

When I hooked it back up to this computer it still would not recognize it at all. It will recognize the old drive even though the old drive is bad and cannot be accessed, it is recognized. The new one is not.

By the way, thank you to the mod who moved this question for me. I was thinking about 98, but of course this problem is, at this point, totally independent of the OS. Thank you for any help

#7 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

Here a link for ABIT KVM Pro Spec's & BIOS Download Info...

ABIT KVM Pro BIOS Download Info

I read somewhere that they no longer make floppy disks. Though I'm sure there are warehouses full of them. (Kinda like Chia Pets!) You might want to hoard a box or two for just this sort of work.
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

you have exactly problem like I do...
maybe you cant consider buy an external case for your hdd like I am...just to use your hardrive as external storage...its better that not use it at all...

I have ABIT KW7 mainboard...
and go ABIT website and no update BIOS that fix the problem...I dont want take any risk update BIOS if no BIOS update that ABIT officially release can fix it...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Usually a motherboard will still acknowledge the fact that it has a SATA hard drive installed, even if the firmware does not recognize the full size of the drive.

You may have to recheck that you are accessing the correct menu in the BIOS for the proper detection of the drive, then choosing it as a boot device in the boot menu set up.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Solved!! Jumpered the hard drive as some mb's do not automatically change the drive to the older speed of SATA. Soon as I did that, it picked right up and everything is working fine. Thank all of you for your help and I hope this helps the person who was having the same problems.

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

havent try that method and still cant recognized in BIOS...
but cant recognized in MHDD...
and glad to hear your problem solved...

Edited by abauw, 21 July 2010 - 03:54 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Glad you figured it out. :flowers:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users