Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:12 PM

Dear Whiz kids,

My son has a new Pentium IV computer. The power supply was recently replaced under warranty after failing. It had been very hot prior to this.

We have noticed that the power supply is again very hot to the touch, and this while only running a single application which is not resource hungry.

Is this normal or do we have a problem? He is only running a single internal fan. We have just removed part of the case to aid cooling.

Many thanks for your help.

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

Have you checked to see if the internal fan is running? How many watts is the supply? Was this a canned system (Dell, HP, Compaq,..)or custom built?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

Dear Whiz Kids,

The power supply is an Omni 400 watts.

The system is not a canned system, but it was a budget job from a local computer store, so I cannot speak for the quality of the components. I can detail any components needed.

Thanks

Constantine

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

I just want to know if maybe someone put too light of a PS in your system. 400w should push your computer along OK. Please list you other compontants. RAM, CPU, Video card, number of case fans... All of this will help determine what maybe heating up you PS.

#5 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

Dear Whiz Kids,

Has only a single fan

CPU Intel Pentium 4 531, 3016 MHz (15 x 201)

Motherboard..Gigabyte

Motherboard Chipset SiS 648FX

System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award Modular (11/23/04)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Monitor Acer AL1711 [17" LCD] (5220039DPY24)

Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

IDE Controller SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller

Disk Drive ST3160021A (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552U (DVD+R9:5x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:12x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

Network Adapter SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Hope this helps
Constantine

Edited by Constantine, 21 October 2005 - 11:07 PM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.

Let us know all the temperatures and fan speeds reported. See if you can find info specifically about your power supply (sometimes Everest is able to find a sensor in the power supply itself).
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:33 PM

As it happens I had Everest but did not know where to look for power supply details.

here they are, but keep in mind these are readings now while the power supply not yet running hot. Will post those later when it again runs hot.

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 44 C (111 F)
CPU 11 C (52 F)
Aux 21 C (70 F)
Seagate ST3160021A 40 C (104 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3068 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.33 V
+2.5 V 2.66 V
+3.3 V 3.28 V
+5 V 2.96 V
+12 V 11.65 V
+5 V Standby 4.78 V
Debug Info F 37 FF FF
Debug Info T 21 44 11
Debug Info V 53 A6 CD 6E B6 B6 79 (77)

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hmmm.... sensors faulty. :thumbsup:

Your CPU is probably 5 to 10C above the motherboard temp.

+5V = 2.96V can't be right either the PC would not run.

Is that the current version of Everest? Uninstall it and install the latest version and try again.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:13 AM

I have the latest Everest Home Edition V 2.20

I will also download Sandra and see if that gives me more reliable readings.

Wont be able to post new details for a few hours. Going out to a BBQ shortly. Got my shorts on and nipple pink polo shirt...look a treat:)

Be back to u as soon as possible.

Constantine.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:38 AM

When you've recovered from the BBQ just verify the fan in the PSU is actually running. If you put your hand at the vents near the top at the back you should feel air flow coming out of the box. If not shine a torch in there and try to locate the fan blades. If they are definitely not spinning you will need to replace the PSU (again).
(DO NOT insert anything into the power supply vents - even with the PC switched off.)

Edited by Rimmer, 22 October 2005 - 12:43 AM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

It may be just me but I would be running two case fans on a system like this.

#12 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

Ok,

BBQ over, Im recovered. Just played Starcraft against my son. I won.

His power supply is hot again. Fan turning, and side of the compter case is off so plenty of air.

He are the sensor readings from Everest.

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 48 C (118 F)
CPU 19 C (66 F)
Aux 20 C (68 F)
Seagate ST3160021A 43 C (109 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4018 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.33 V
+2.5 V 2.66 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.30 V
+12 V 11.65 V
+5 V Standby 4.78 V
Debug Info F 2A FF FF
Debug Info T 20 48 19
Debug Info V 53 A6 CE A0 B6 B6 84 (77)

So, what do u think?..Abnormally hot? Get more fans or take it back to the store?

Constantine

Edited by Constantine, 22 October 2005 - 11:05 PM.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:27 AM

The information does not reflect the PS temp. Your best bet is to take it back to the shop and have them test the load with an AMP meter to see how many watts is being drawn. You could do this yourself with a modified power cord and an AMP meter, but most non-electricans usally don't have one. AMP meter is different from a volt meter.

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

Congrats on your Starcraft victory. :thumbsup: (Savour it while you can!)

I can't tell what's going on - those temperatures are very suspect and the 5Volt readings are low.
When you say the power supply is hot can you give me an idea e.g. "I put my hand on top of the case and all my skin blisters off" or "It feels rather warmer than the rest"

If the case is 'hot to touch' around the PSU I'd say there is something wrong - but finding out what will not be easy. I'd start by making a windows boot floppy then (assuming the system has a floppy drive? otherwise use the Windows CD) switching off and, after touching the metal of the case, disconnecting everything other than the floppy drive (or CD) and the display/video adaptor. Remove all other plug-in cards and unplug all peripherals except the keyboard and monitor.
Put the boot floppy in the drive and power on. You should get boot messages on the screen. Just leave the system idle for a while and see how the PSU feels. If it still gets hot there could be a problem with the motherboard, CPU, RAM or PSU and you could try another PSU but will probably have to take it in for professional repair. If it remains at normal temps then something you disconnected is drawing too much power. You will have to replace things one by one and test... could take a while.

Let us know what you find. :flowers:

#15 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 23 October 2005 - 02:55 AM

I beleive I have an insight to your problem, are the high heat producing compnents located in that corner of your case( ie the HDs or video card)? I once had a case that had the rackmounts for the HDs right under the psu w/ a tiny aux fan blowing over them. As i recall that case got a little warm up top in back, but it didnt double as a hot plate. If the HD is infact next to the PSU i would do as rimmer says and disconnect the power to the HD and boot off the OS cd and let it run a bit. the power supply could be conducting heat and acting as a makeshift heat sink by accident.
Off voltages could make your system hot, but i always associated that with overclocking and raising them. Rimmer seems to know better about voltages than me though.

Here are my readings if you want to compare, i have a p4 2.8 512 ram
Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 8 C (46 F)
Aux 27 C (81 F)
Seagate ST380021A 40 C (104 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2377 RPM
Chassis 2596 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.39 V
+2.5 V 1.78 V
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 4.81 V
+12 V 11.58 V
+5 V Standby 5.03 V
VBAT Battery 3.06 V
Debug Info V 57 6F CB B3 B5 CB 3F BB (F7)
Debug Info T 27 08 00

dont mind the temps, my case is next to a poorly insulated outside wall and window (and its getting cold around New England now) I am glad to know that someone else's baracuda runs above 100, i thought that was way too high.

as for cooling theory, you may want to install an intake on the front bottom of your case (if you dont already have one, i didnt see a case fan in the everest report) also, since you are trying to solve this heat prob, experiment with keeping the side panels on. Although you do get ventilation by having it off you may get better air flow with it on and therefore possibly better cooling. also tie up or restrain stray cables whcih could be messing up air flow. In an ideal case you want the room air to come in the front low, push the hot air up and out the back(preferably up high).

PS does anybody know how to find where a sensor is on your board, or what/ where the aux is located? because Constantine's Mobo sensor seems to be either way off or it may be located right next to the PSU. (and this topic has raised my curiousity about my own system)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users