Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nVidia 9400GT Compatibility for Windows 98.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CompExpert

CompExpert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Hi again!

I've decided to dig out my 8-year old 20GB drive and re-install Win 98 back on it.

I want to put it into my current machine, my Acer Aspire M1610.

But, I don't think my 9400GT is compatible with Windows 98.

I have looked everywhere for a 98 driver, but every driver either is not compatible with 98, or my graphics card isn't supported with the driver. :thumbsup: :flowers:

If anyone can find a driver, PLEASE reply!!!!

Cheers!
Keeping computers humming since 2010.

I'm back after a long long time! :D :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

I don't think there are any. I can't find support for WIN9X past the 6XXX series cards, some say there are 7XXX WIN9X drivers but I couldn't find them. I would be worried if any other part of that system had available WIN9X drivers as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 CompExpert

CompExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

I don't think there are any. I can't find support for WIN9X past the 6XXX series cards, some say there are 7XXX WIN9X drivers but I couldn't find them. I would be worried if any other part of that system had available WIN9X drivers as well.

Hmmmm... I have found a post on nVidia. It reads:
"There is no proper PCI Express implementation for older Windows 9x platforms and therefore NVIDIA will not produce drivers for these older operating systems under these OS's."

My reaction to this is: :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :cool: :roll:

#4 Starkey

Starkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

:thumbsup:
Why exactly do you want the 9400GX to run under 98 anyway?

Though, as pointed out, you can't, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

I don't think thats the point here actually. A lot of systems can be dual boot and it the system is WinXP or something newer then the nVidiia 9400GT would be ok. As for backward compatiblity then thats where the problem occures.

I have the same problem on my new machine, I would like it to dual boot with WinME but the graphics card isn't supported. Plus I haven't figured out how to partition the main drive yet. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 11 August 2010 - 03:37 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

@ Keithuk

Maybe a triple Boot will fix it?

WIN98SE on first Partition, WINME on second Partition and WINXP on third Partition?

Partitions can be easily set up using the XP CD, just set your BIOS to boot from CD, then use the XP Disk to remove ALL Partitions. Once you have a blank HDD, use XP to create three Partitions under FAT 32. After that shut the Computer down, and change the BIOS back to Boot from Floppy Drive. Then you have the Basics to start to install all three, starting with WIN98SE, then WinME, from Floppy, and finally WINXP, from CD.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

:thumbsup:

@ Keithuk

Partitions can be easily set up using the XP CD, just set your BIOS to boot from CD, then use the XP Disk to remove ALL Partitions.

Ray.

Thanks for the info Ray.

I'm not bothered about a triple boot. I've tried that from booting from the XP CD, I deleted all partitions, 500GB HD. I tried to make a 20GB partition to put WinME on but it said the partition wasn't big enough for XP (stupid answer). I don't want to put XP on that partition. I had XP on my old computer and that had a 20GB hard drive with plenty of room left.

The Win9x/ME has to be on the first drive C: then XP on the next available drive. I've tried it in XP but it will only make an 8.5GB partition which is big enough for what I want WinME for but that makes it on the next available drive letter. I can't change the drive letters, I know you can't change them while Windows is running. :flowers:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 CompExpert

CompExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

:cool:

So I can run all of my older games...

If this doesn't work, I'll have to use Win2000.
:huh:
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users