Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wuauclt.exe error in windows update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cammigirl

cammigirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Recently, my Dell Dimension desktop computer has been giving me the following error for wuauclt.exe: This program has encountered an error and needs to close. This error pops up when I click on the icon stating the computer has downloaded updates. I didn't start getting this error until I installed Norton 360 4.0 to the computer. I've tried uninstalling the antivirus software, but I continue to get the message. I've even tried manually installing the update to no avail. Can somebody help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hello first to see if it is malware do a search for wuauclt.exe
The valid windows file is C:\Windows\System32\wuauclt.exe

If it is in another location it is malware and we need to scan.

If it is correct then try doing a System restore to a date prior to the Norton install an see if it goes away.

Windows XP System Restore Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi cammigirl,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The fact that you are receiving error messages related to this Windows System file leads me to believe that your computer may indeed be infected. Since you mention that you tried to remove Norton 360, I suspect that Norton 360 is currently not protecting you.

Since your PC is possibly infected and you may have an incomplete installation of Norton 360, please use another computer and follow the instructions to download and burn the Norton 360 Bootable Recovery CD which you will use to boot and scan the other computer.

Instrucions to download and run the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool for Norton 360

After you have run the tool on the problematic computer, restart the computer and then follow the following set of instructions on how to properly remove and then reinstall the latest version of Norton 360 so that your computer is protected.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under Norton 360 to download the latest installer.

Download the latest Norton installer

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton and manually run LiveUpdate to check for updates.

5. After the updates have been applied, complete a "Comprehensive System Scan" to check for infections.

Thank you,
Mike

Recently, my Dell Dimension desktop computer has been giving me the following error for wuauclt.exe: This program has encountered an error and needs to close. This error pops up when I click on the icon stating the computer has downloaded updates. I didn't start getting this error until I installed Norton 360 4.0 to the computer. I've tried uninstalling the antivirus software, but I continue to get the message. I've even tried manually installing the update to no avail. Can somebody help me?

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

Thank you Michael. :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

I'm always happy to help :thumbsup:
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation