This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.
The fact that you are receiving error messages related to this Windows System file leads me to believe that your computer may indeed be infected. Since you mention that you tried to remove Norton 360, I suspect that Norton 360 is currently not protecting you.
Since your PC is possibly infected and you may have an incomplete installation of Norton 360, please use another computer and follow the instructions to download and burn the Norton 360 Bootable Recovery CD which you will use to boot and scan the other computer.Instrucions to download and run the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool for Norton 360
After you have run the tool on the problematic computer, restart the computer and then follow the following set of instructions on how to properly remove and then reinstall the latest version of Norton 360 so that your computer is protected.
1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:Norton Removal Tool and instructions
2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.
3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under Norton 360 to download the latest installer.Download the latest Norton installer
4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton and manually run LiveUpdate to check for updates.
5. After the updates have been applied, complete a "Comprehensive System Scan" to check for infections.
Recently, my Dell Dimension desktop computer has been giving me the following error for wuauclt.exe: This program has encountered an error and needs to close. This error pops up when I click on the icon stating the computer has downloaded updates. I didn't start getting this error until I installed Norton 360 4.0 to the computer. I've tried uninstalling the antivirus software, but I continue to get the message. I've even tried manually installing the update to no avail. Can somebody help me?