Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 3680-2682

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hey guys:

I have this laptop here and what it does is it turns on, the lights come on, a fan blows for about 30 seconds and then stops. No monitor, no noise coming from inside. Then the fan begins to blow again and that the whole story. I put my ear up to the case and I don't hear the hdd spinning. Not sure where to start. I have begun to disassemble it so I can have a look inside. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Please try to gain access to the processors heat sink, you need to determine if your heat sink has dust build up, which is preventing the heat from the processor's heat sink from escaping into the laptops case and air channels and exhausted out through the case exhaust holes.

In some cases, buying a can of compressed air and blowing the air (using the flexible plastic tube included) into the laptop may remove the dust, but it can also lodge it into other places. So it is actually better to open the laptop up and gain better access and therefore blowing the dust out of the laptop effectively.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

do you have experience assembly your laptop???
if not...please bring your laptop to ACER service center or experience technician...
if yes...please check your heatsink first...cleaning up some dust and clean out the old thermal grease and put the new thermal grease and see what happens next...

if you decide to assembly it...proceed with your own RISK...dont blame anyone if your laptop get worst while your disamble it...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

I don't know why my original post was repeated? Anyway:

do you have experience assembly your laptop???
if not...please bring your laptop to ACER service center or experience technician...
if yes...please check your heatsink first...cleaning up some dust and clean out the old thermal grease and put the new thermal grease and see what happens next...

if you decide to assembly it...proceed with your own RISK...dont blame anyone if your laptop get worst while your disamble it...

Not too much experience taking laptops apart and putting them back together again(This is my 1st.) It wasn't very hard though and I don't think I'll have a hard time with the assembly. Also, everything I do is always at my own risk. It's an old laptop anyway and I thought I'd give'r a whirl!!!

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 20 July 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

no more sugestion from me if you dont read anything...sorry
please read any sugestion here before your posted again...thanks

#6 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

Any idea where I can take the memory and the cpu to for testing?? I normally work on Desktops so I have parts to swap in and out for test purposes. In this case I don't have any spare parts.

Edit:

I priced memory. I got a 1gb (2x512) for $15!!! That was easier than going to Bestbuy:))

Edited by jwmghf, 20 July 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

you can find a documentary video about how to disassemble a laptop and assembly it back on youtube...sorry I cant give a direct link...I have block youtube site at my home connection...maybe later I cant give the link....
if you have decide to disassemble it by your own...please remember you do it at your own risk...

the memory that laptop and desktop usually different type of memory...so you cannot test it on desktop...

lets forgot about disassemble your laptop for a while and do what bruce told you....

#8 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

Ok, I did what Bruce told me,... and I took the entire laptop apart, Blew out everything that was blowable. Then I changed the memory,... and put it back together again. It is still doing the exact same thing. I guess that's a good thing, because, that means it wasn't the memory giving me the issue.

So whats' the next thing to try?? The video card or the cpu??? Can I take the pieces to be tested. I'd like to take it apart again only 1 more time!!!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users