Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicking Gelbooru.com in MSN window

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OfficialPro

OfficialPro

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

One of my MSN contacts got infected with some MSN virus. It sends several things. One of which is a link to gelbooru.com

Now it also sent links that require download, and of course I didn't download any of this garbage. But what I want to know is, would clicking on the gelbooru site infect me at all? And what should I do? I have MBAM antimalwarebytes and AVG Free antivirus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

According to WOT (http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/gelbooru.com), gelbooru is safe (no promises) but contains alot of adult content.

#3 OfficialPro

OfficialPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

According to WOT (http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/gelbooru.com), gelbooru is safe (no promises) but contains alot of adult content.

I was wondering that, because my buddy doesn't know how they got the virus and thought maybe clicking the gelbooru link did it.

#4 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Maybe he caught the virus from a different site and the virus author is paid to advertise the link. So it sends the link so people go on the website therefore the creator gets money, illegally. As for your friend, he might want to come to this forum.

#5 OfficialPro

OfficialPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

Maybe he caught the virus from a different site and the virus author is paid to advertise the link. So it sends the link so people go on the website therefore the creator gets money, illegally. As for your friend, he might want to come to this forum.

He is having trouble visiting certain sites, I think this one was one of them. I got him to download MBAM antimalwarebytes and he said it found two infections already. Hopefully that'll help.

When he tries to get on sites like facebook something pops up and says "in order to confirm you are not a bot, you have to take this survey" and then it asks for personal information.

MBAM is still running so when it's done and if that doesn't all work I'll get him to come here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users