Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Ok here is my problem im completely stuck on this one, my old laptop which rather unfortunately broke had alot of files that i needed to keep so i bought a caddy/enclosure thing to make it an external HDD and everything is working great but my problem is that the files i need (my pictures primarily) arent in there everything else is there except anything in my documents ... the shared documents, program files is all there etc but nothing that i need, the only thing i can think of is because i used a password on the laptop maybe its caused a problem? it just says the folder is empty even though the used spaced on the HDD is 80GB more than whats actually viewable so the space is being used somewhere.
does anyone have any ideas? i tried booting from the HDD but because it needs the password i cant type it in because it wont recognize my keyboard or mouse which cant set themselves up until its past the password screen.
im really completely stuck on this one once i have the pictures ill just format it and use it as extra storage but i need the pictures as their the only thing that cant be replaced, help?
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

If a password had been employed on the laptop...that only applies to booting the system. Any file on that drive can at least be viewed, if not accessed...by making that drive anything other than the boot drive.

If you can see the other files on the drive...you should be able to see all files. Accessing such, if they are in the Documents & Settings group of folders, is a different problem that's easily overcome.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users