Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antimalware, now root/system32/hal.dll error?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Okay, so last night my husband downloaded something, or picked up something on a website. Today when I started the computer it popped up that it was Antimalware Dr. I came to this site and did everything it said to....but it wouldn't let me run Malwarebytes afterwards. So I downloaded Malwarebytes on my memory stick and put it on the main computer again using it, tried to run it and still...won't run. That computer wouldn't even connect to the Internet....so having to use the laptop to find all this information. I came across another site that mentioned downloading Avast antivirus....so that went on the memory stick and transferred to the main computer. That is when the real problems started.

Then it rebooted on me and won't stop rebooting....gets to the main desktop and reboot, then the same thing all over again. Finally I just clicked the safe mode and it pulls up this: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So now what? I can't even get to my files to download them off the computer...thankfully I had backed up my photos a few weeks ago but sadly nothing else sad.gif so I hate to even think of losing everything....is this a lost cause?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,219 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hi, Rsegrwr smile.gif

welcome.gif

The error is usually due to a corrupted Boot.ini file, boot record or in fact HAL.DLL is missing. You will need the Windows Installation CD to perform these tasks:

HAL.DLL is Missing

Insert your Windows installation CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD. You will be prompted with the following options:

A. To setup Windows XP, press Enter.
B. To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

Choose the option, "To repair the Windows XP installation using recovery console", press R. If an Administrator Password have been established, you will be prompted to type it in. If no Administrator Password exists, just press ENTER.

You will be presented with the following:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

Press the number assigned to the installation you need access to on your keyboard and hit Enter.

In this case and if only the above is displayed is 1.

At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:

Attrib -s -h -r C:\Boot.ini
Del C:\Boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild

1. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:
    Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
  2. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
    Enter Load Identifier
  3. This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
  4. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
    Enter OS Load options
  5. When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Once this process is completed, type EXIT and press ENTER to restart your computer.

Let me know the outcome.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

I have moved this to Security > Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

Thanks....sadly this is an old HP and while we did make backup disc they are not working....I thought about getting another Windows disc but I read that will wipe out all of my folders/saved files. I know they aren't of Pentagon level importance but sadly a lot of them are forms I've created to make my job easier, homeschooling easier...etc and so I hate to lose them and have to start all over.

I thought about seeing if someone could get the information off the harddrive and then just replacing the computer, since it is old.....then I can just work with this older one to get it set up for my younger children to play around on. I just don't know the procedures to getting stuff off the harddrive when the computer won't boot up because of that error.

Thank you for replying....I was beginning to think that my problem was so horrible that no one wanted to answer me.... LOL

#5 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Rsegrwr @ Jul 21 2010, 08:30 AM) View Post
Thanks....sadly this is an old HP and while we did make backup disc they are not working....I thought about getting another Windows disc but I read that will wipe out all of my folders/saved files. I know they aren't of Pentagon level importance but sadly a lot of them are forms I've created to make my job easier, homeschooling easier...etc and so I hate to lose them and have to start all over.

I thought about seeing if someone could get the information off the harddrive and then just replacing the computer, since it is old.....then I can just work with this older one to get it set up for my younger children to play around on. I just don't know the procedures to getting stuff off the harddrive when the computer won't boot up because of that error.

Thank you for replying....I was beginning to think that my problem was so horrible that no one wanted to answer me.... LOL

If the disk is a Windows XP Installation CD, as long as you follow the above steps, there shouldn't be a problem. All you will be doing is booting into the Recovery Console and rebuilding the boot.ini file.

The fact is that even to build a Recovery CD, you will always need an XP installation CD. Do not attempt to recover the system to factory settings as you will lose all data.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#6 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

So I can use any XP installation CD? Since the HP didn't come with one....that's why we have the recovery CDs because it prompts you to make them when you get the computer....do I just need to buy Windows XP? Thanks so much for your help....I really hope I can make this work out and solve this issue.

If I do get it to work...what is the best Malware to prevent crazy stuff like this again? As I said....we have MalwareBytes but it wouldn't even run when we got the Antimalware....when I tried to load Avast is when it crashed sad.gif I do not want this to be a constant fight against Malware.

And does it even help to have a separate harddrive outside of the computer for saving and backing up files or does any infection of Malware attack anything attached to the computer?

#7 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Rsegrwr @ Jul 21 2010, 12:12 PM) View Post
So I can use any XP installation CD? Since the HP didn't come with one....that's why we have the recovery CDs because it prompts you to make them when you get the computer....do I just need to buy Windows XP? Thanks so much for your help....I really hope I can make this work out and solve this issue.

If I do get it to work...what is the best Malware to prevent crazy stuff like this again? As I said....we have MalwareBytes but it wouldn't even run when we got the Antimalware....when I tried to load Avast is when it crashed sad.gif I do not want this to be a constant fight against Malware.

And does it even help to have a separate harddrive outside of the computer for saving and backing up files or does any infection of Malware attack anything attached to the computer?

Any XP installation CD will do. Malware should be handled by trained helpers. I am sure one of us can help you. Working with tools that you are unfamiliar with, may be worst than the infection itself.

I read this somewhere, "Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about". Keeping a backup of your files is a must.

Keep me posted.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,219 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

btn_donate_SM.gif

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

Re-opening topic per OP PM,Please be patient as JSntgRvr is busy with several other logs now.

I finally got a hold of a XP CD and need to get further instruction as the listed steps aren't working for me. Thank you!

Edited by boopme, 16 August 2010 - 07:38 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

I thought I would add some details smile.gif When I put in the CD it started right up and went through a bunch of stuff and then came to the screen to choose A. To set up Windows XP, press Enter and B. To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

When I pressed R it went to the recovery console but C:\Windows is not an option. The options were H:\MiniNT and H:\I386. I don't have it up right now and when I typed in C: it brought up a C Prompt but now I'm afraid to go any further....don't want to mess something up.

Thanks for all the help smile.gif and no rush...just when you get a chance let me know what you think!

Edited by Rsegrwr, 16 August 2010 - 09:28 PM.

#11 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,219 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

At the C:\ prompt type the following:

Dir boot.ini
cd windows

Let me know what are the messages on screen.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#12 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

Okay, when I typed
C: it came up
C:\ and then I typed in boot.ini
It says no matching files were found
Then I typed in cd windows and it says
C:\Windows>

#13 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

Wait a second....it did have a message pop up, scanned it quickly and missed it.

It says after typing in Dirboot.ini
The volume in drive C is HP_Pavilion
The volume Serial Number is 1412-3b38

Directory of C:\windows\boot.ini
No matching files were found

#14 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,219 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

That is kind of odd. When the computer was running, was The operating system running from C: or any other letter?

At the C:\Windows> prompt type the following?

Dir explorer.exe
cd system32

Let me know what are the messages on screen.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#15 Rsegrwr

Rsegrwr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Dir explorer.exe
06/13/07 10:23a -a------ 1033216 explorer.exe
1 file(s) 1033216 bytes