Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor displaying "out of scan range"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rod Dakan

Rod Dakan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

My wife tried to change her wallpaper and in the process got the "out of scan range" message on the screen.

I rebooted using f8 and went to safe mode and control panel and properties and changed all the properties to default and saved it

I rebooted normally and the monitor comes on and displays the xp logo and then blinks and goes into the "out of scan range" message.

can you point me to a solution?

Thanks

Rod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315614.

Forget the portion about starting a game.

Louis

#3 Rod Dakan

Rod Dakan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the tip.

It didn't work however. I did find that the computer in question does load the OS and I can see it on the network.

so the problem is limited to the display.

Maybe even the driver is damaged somehow. If that is the case how best should I go about getting a new driver.

Thanks again

Rod

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

I would have simply uninstalled the current video drivers...and then reinstalled same.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Display adapter.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#5 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Could it be that the res of the desktop image is to large for the monitor. I would think that the screen res would supersede the res of the image?
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#6 Rod Dakan

Rod Dakan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

The size of the image is most likely the problem as that is what she was doing.

I started the machine in safe mode and opened the display option and set everything to none hoping that would work but still am getting the error

I will try the devmgmt.msc and see what that brings.

I will let you all know.

Rod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users