Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Hijacked - rootkit bastards!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bookburn

Bookburn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi I'm borrowing a Toshiba laptop and connected to a filthy disgusting wireless university server. Windows Firewall was off, spy-ware removal tools were way out of date, and the system as a whole was a mess (I'm a teacher - high school kids use this machine... just imagine the clutter). I followed Bleeping Computer instructions to remove AV Suite but I still have a rootkit that Malwarebyte isn't finding. Google searches in Firefox are redirected to other sketchy (at best) websites. I've been fighting it for almost a week, but now I'm also having troubles with explorer crashing if I'm logged in very long and now legitimate websites I try to access frequently time out. I tried searching your forum, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

DDS and GMER files are attached. Let me know if there is any other information you need.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

Good evening. smile.gif

Given the lack of basic security programs onboard and the amount of time that this has probably been the case, the best suggestion I can offer is to back up any important files and then reformat and reinstall Windows.
It is going to be impossible to guarantee a clean computer at the end of the removal process, which makes it something of a non-starter in the first place. The possibility that legitimate files may have been infected or corrupted by the malware present on your PC, and also that security settings may have been lowered making your computer more liable to infection in the future, means that starting over is the easiest and most reliable solution to your problems.

Toshibas often have a recovery partition on board which will make the whole process easier.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users