Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats with this buzzing?!?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Right, when i use a certain type of power supply unit (the ones which you can specify the polarity & voltage) with my guitar pedals, i get a horrific buzzing noise. The polarity & voltage is all correct. I'm using all unbalanced jack --> jacks. I have tried it on two of my amps - same results. But when i use a different supply, the buzz goes away. Any ideas? I would use the other power supply, but i need to power about 4 pedals with that polarity so.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hi brooksey!!!
My wife does DJ work. Weddings parties and so forth. If you Google “Hum Eliminators” you will find a lot of info.
We incorporate one in the set up that seems to work OK but sometimes at certain venues or towns we always have some hum come through. I also ground everything through our power supply. I am not sure how this may relate to a guitar set-up
You mention that it seems to be one specific power supply. A lot of these are pretty cheaply made in China. You may just have a defective unit. If cost is not too much it might be worth just replacing it.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

I do a lot of audio with my computers -- no guitar pedals, though. Still, the description sounds a lot like a ground loop. Try Googling that, along with "hum eliminator," and see if that makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users