Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some programs open minimized or behind other windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wade74

Wade74

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:26 AM

It seems to me I've had this problem pretty much since I installed Windows 7 on this new computer. A friend of mine suggested me to ask help from here.

Some programs start up minimized most of the time - but not always. At least Mozilla Thunderbird and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 keep doing that to name a few. The shortcut properties have "Run" as "Normal window" for both programs. I think I've also tried closing them with Ctrl pressed as suggested somewhere.

As for other similar problems, I get occasional problems with opening windows from the taskbar groups. The window shows up nicely when hovering over the thumbnail picture of the taskbar group, but when I select it, it just flashes on the top and then disappears / goes back behind other windows. Alt-tabbing seems to work flawlessly, but it'd be nice to be able to use the taskbar too.

Any help appreciated. Let me know if you need further info...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

You might check to see if it a folder setting...

look around at this link and maybe you will see something you can try. Maybe just 1 thing at a time, and use matter of elimination...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/295-f...pen.html?filter[2]=File Folder Settings

#3 Wade74

Wade74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try setting the options as suggested by your link. I have to say I don't see the connection between those and my problem, but I've been wrong before. The options described in the image seem pretty unorthodox as well, but we'll see... I'll try changing those settings one at a time. Right now the windows seem to work right, so I need to change the next setting as soon as I encounter the problems again.

As for addition to my original post, Windows Media Player seems to start minimized / behind other windows quite often too.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

I was thinking at first it may have something to do a folder option, but now I'm thinking it could be a Task Bar issue.

Try this...

Right click on Start button, select properties,
that should bring up the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

Play around with some of the taskbar settings and see if something doesn't resolve it.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer, but if I come up with something better, or if somebody else out there knows something, we'll get you fixed up one way or the other.

Edited by AustinTerry, 22 July 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#5 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Something else you can try on WMP, pin the program to the taskbar, then launch it from there and see if it comes up fully.

If not sure how to pin a program to the taskbar, here is how...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/397-t...gram-links.html

#6 Wade74

Wade74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:38 AM

I tried pinning WMP to taskbar and it seemed to start up on the top of other windows nicely. Naturally that only does half the trick in WMP's case as I need to open a specific file and it's still faster to open it by double clicking it on explorer and alt-tabbing to WMP to make it appear. I've pinned Thunderbird and Premiere to taskbar for now instead to see if they still launch minimized.

As for taskbar settings, "never combine taskbar buttons" seemed to be a workaround for the taskbar button problem, but after using that for a while I found out the problem still exists even with that settings. The other taskbar settings didn't change the problem either.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love to find out what's causing the problems and have my Windows work as it should. The way it works now is pretty frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users