Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't plug in connections on video card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:47 AM

Hey BC!

So a while back, I wanted to upgrade my system with a video card (previously I was using the on-board graphics on the motherboard, a ASUS M2A-VM).

When installing, the video card fits into the motherboard slot no problem, but when I try to plug in my DVI cable, it doesn't fit. The case seems to be blocking the cable from being able to be inserted properly (http://i44.tinypic.com/34tdde0.jpg ).
Since the motherboard only has one PCI-e port I must use that slot for that type of video card,which unfortunately does not seem to work.

I've since returned that video card back to my friend, but in the future if I want to add another PCI-e video card again, is there anything I can do about it? Maybe a special cable or similar? I would need both DVI and VGA connections.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

Loosen all of your motherboard mounting screws on the standoffs and move the motherboard to the correct position. This is one reason I always install at least one expansion card in a slot before snugging down the motherboard screws. You always have a little bit of room to play with the position.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 July 2010 - 09:04 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Poor quality of the picture doesn't really indicate a problem as far as I can see but it kind of looks like the top edge of the connector is close to the edge of the case. There is usually quite a bit of slop so I would loosen the screw holding the card in place, then try installing the DVI cable, then tighten the screw. Position of the mobo may be an issue as well as pointed out in the post above.

Edited by strolln, 20 July 2010 - 09:34 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:27 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

Loosen all of your motherboard mounting screws on the standoffs and move the motherboard to the correct position. This is one reason I always install at least one expansion card in a slot before snugging down the motherboard screws. You always have a little bit of room to play with the position.

Thanks! I will try it next time I get my hands on another expansion card. I guess I would just sort of 'shift' the mobo down a bit?

Poor quality of the picture doesn't really indicate a problem as far as I can see but it kind of looks like the top edge of the connector is close to the edge of the case. There is usually quite a bit of slop so I would loosen the screw holding the card in place, then try installing the DVI cable, then tighten the screw. Position of the mobo may be an issue as well as pointed out in the post above.

Ya, the picture wasn't the best. I tried doing that, but it still didn't seem to want to go in. So looks like the mobo will probably have to be repositioned.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users