Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 file sharing with Mac OS 10.5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 danbowden101

danbowden101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

I have an iMac with two external drives attached. Both drives are shared with a Windows 7 machine.
I can access the drives, read and write to them.

When I open a file from the drive, edit it, and then try to save it again it works fine.

When I create a new document in either MS Office, or image editing software software it tells me it cannot save to the drive.

Has anyone had this issue before, or anyone have any ideas??

I am thinking about installing a NAS drive to fix the problem, but would rather come up with a solution without new hardware.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

When I open a file from the drive, edit it, and then try to save it again it works fine.
When I create a new document in either MS Office, or image editing software software it tells me it cannot save to the drive.
Thanks.

What computer does this happen on? windows 7 or on the mac? Also what are the drives formated as. (ie. fat32 or ntfs or hfs?)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 danbowden101

danbowden101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

Thanks.

What computer does this happen on? windows 7 or on the mac? Also what are the drives formated as. (ie. fat32 or ntfs or hfs?)

This happens on the win 7 machine, when saving to the drives attached to the Mac.
Both drives are formatted fat32.

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Have you checked the Permissions of the shared drives?

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 21 July 2010 - 11:12 AM.

#5 danbowden101

danbowden101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Yes, permissions are all set right - I can copy files to them from the windows 7 machine, if I save the file first and then move it.

Quite frustrating!!!

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Just giving my 2 cents but windows 7 has like 3 or 4 different places that you can and most times do have to give permission. Most times, least my dealings with Win 7, just doing the most general permissions doesn't cut it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users