Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows loads but screen is black

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jen626

Jen626

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

I turn on my computer, get the motherboard flash screen like normal and it goes through the normal booting stuff then goes to the Windows XP loading screen with the logo and the little progress bar. It loads for a few minutes like normal and then the screen goes black. The monitor goes into Power Save mode like it does when the computer is powered off/the monitor is disconnected/hibernate mode. However, since the sound is on, I know Windows and my desktop do load because I can hear the Windows music and such. But the screen is completely black, no cursor or anything. I have tried to boot in Safe Mode with F8 but it doesn't work nor have I been able to get into the BIOS. I do have Windows Recovery Console installed but not sure what to do with it. I also have the XP install disk/key available.

Any thoughts on what to do? I know this happened once before but I cannot remember how I solved it or if it resolved on its own.

This is an OLD computer but hasn't had any problems recently:
Intel D865PERL mobo (I think that's the #, it's from memory)
1GB ram
160 gb Seagate sata hard drive
Pentium 4 w/ ht 2.8 ghz
Nvidia GeForce X5900XT w/ 512 mb
SoundBlaster Live!
Windows XP Pro sp3

Currently I am using the vga connection for the monitor, may try and run it with the dvi connection just oin case that helps.

Thank you!

Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coyote1982

coyote1982

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

Hmmm....sounds like your pc is sending a video signal that is out of range.
What exactly happens when you try running XP in safe mode? it's usually the place to fix this problem...
try setting your monitor to auto adjust when your Windows is up and running and the screen is black.

#3 Jen626

Jen626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

I can't get it to boot in safe mode or access the BIOS. I can run Windows Recovery Console but I don't know if that can help at all? I will try the monitor thing but I don't think that is it since I tried another monitopr already. Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

I would try the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console...after running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users