Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Corruption: Media Files Have Mixed Or Unplayable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hazy

hazy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:31 PM

I was swapping a hard drive to back up some information and when I swapped it back in some of the mp3s, mpegs, and avis became unplayable or they have mixed with the other files that were on the hard drive.

When I had put the hard drive back in WinXP did something funky and had to run a file check before starting up and it "orphaned" the files? I'm not sure what it did but a lot of my media is unplayable or mixed.

Has anyone had this problem? Are my gigs of files unreclaimable or is there a solution?

Edited by hazy, 21 October 2005 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:35 PM

I'm guessing the hard drive in question was NOT the primary drive (the one with Windows.) If that's the case, did you use your media player (or like program) when you had the other hard drive in? What happens is when a file (or files) is linked to a resource (ie, Media Player or such), and that link is lost via file deletion, or media is removed, the program attempts to locate or map to the files it lost. This is a function of the Windows file sharing structure, especially when dealing with dynamic link libraries (DLLs). If you ran the program and it no longer found the files, it probably assumed you deleted them and re-mapped itself to someting else. Putting the old drive back caused Windows to look for the pre-existing links which were lost. So, Windows orphans the file(s) and regisrtry entries to other links that it thinks are best suited (you know...the little flashlight thingy telling you its going to point to something it thinks you want?)

To TRY and get these things back where you had them, go here:

http://www.utpb.edu/siteserver/docs/ssa_learn_hhrg.htm

and here:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print...ArticleID=25138

The second one points you to a trial program that claims to be able to recover lost data, although not all of it. Worth a try.

-Grump

Edited by Grumpdaddy1, 21 October 2005 - 06:44 PM.

"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

#3 hazy

hazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

No the drive in question was the slave drive. I actually reformatted the primary drive that had windows on it and then this problem came up. It doesn't try to find the file it just either cannot render the file, or says it's an invalid file format or in some weird cases for example I try to play a video file and mp3 files that were on another directory will be all mixed into the video file!

I tried reading thru the link you gave me but I have no idea what it's talking about....

Whoops just noticed the edit and the 2nd link, I'll try that right now.

Edited by hazy, 21 October 2005 - 07:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users