Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer suddenly slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 coyote1982

coyote1982

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

Hi,
I've recently joined the BC.com forums and started reading a bunch of suggestions (mainly in the slow computer sticky), but the problem persists.
The PC in question was formatted 2 weeks ago or so by me. This PC is primarily for downloading torrents. I only installed the essentials for this purpose.
I've seen on other posts that people include a list of the software installed on their PC, as well as a detailed description of their hardware. It looks like there's a program that does it for you. Which one is it?

THE PROBLEM: computer is suddenly slow. I noticed it when playing Monkey Island 2 SE when the sound started stuttering and I also experienced a slow switch of menus. Following a suggestion from the "slow computer" sticky, I used PerfectDisk 11 Pro to defragment my 80GB hard drive (which had about 15GB free space). It took over 10 hours(!). Also, copying from and to the hard drive takes a long time, the same goes for extracting a WinRar archive.

I'm starting to suspect there's something wrong with the hard drive itself...will try to replace it.

Other suggestions are welcome,
coyote1982

Edited by coyote1982, 20 July 2010 - 05:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

IMO, if you are downloading/installing torrents...there's a good chance of the system getting infected.

<>

Not sure...what would be the purpose of such program...from your perspective?

I use Perfect Disk 8.0...if it took 10 hours to defrag an 80GB hard drive, you have problems.

I suggest that you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long test, not short) on your drive.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users