Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get rid of Virus!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DislikesViruses

DislikesViruses

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Ok, now I am very basic to knowledge of this stuff, so if anyone offering help could, I'd appretiate it if you dumb it down for me.

Ok, I was constantly attacked by a virus which was always quarentines by my ESET NORD 32 Antivirus. This has been out of date for some time, but was still effective in stopping the viruses. The other day I got a new pop up, this time saying the word trojan which got me alarmed. The firewall turned off automatically so I turned it back on, but when I went onto the internet pages, they would not work first time, and my PC was running real slow (both still happen, signing up here was a nightmare!).

I scanned using my Search And Destroy, which found alot of viruses. It took care of them but the problem remained, so when I scanned again, I still found two viruses. I repeatedly scanned and scanned after repeatedly deleting them but they always appear.

I then scanned using my Malwarebytes, which I currently have open, and the first time again it found alot of viruses, but now it's went down to 3 viruses.

One was a trojan.agent, with a long name, which was qurentined.
One was a rootkit.agent, the item being C:\\WINDOWS\System32.ipsecndis.sys, which like last time is requiring that I reboot the PC for it to delete, which it won't.
Last one is another trojan.agent, which was quarentined.

I just want my PC to run well again and to have the frustrating pages saying "internet exploarer cannot display page" to stop. I even need to copy all of this just incase it happens when I click 'Post New Topic'. Is there any easy enough fix to this? I don't know about these logs and stuff, I just know I have ESET, S&D and Malwarebytes. What do I do? Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DislikesViruses

DislikesViruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Anybody???

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

HI,

This forum gets LOTS of requests for help, so it may take several days before one of the regular helpers can come along and provide more advanced advice to you. However, in the meantime, here is what info i can offer.

Spybot Search & Destroy is okay to use, but there are some other free programs that do a better job of cleaning malware, with the two most effective being MalwareBytes Antimalware (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS).

MBAM should be run in regular Windows mode, but SAS works MUCH better if you run it in Windows Safe mode. (To enter safe mode, restart your computer, then keep hitting the F8 key until a menu comes up, and then select Safe Mode with Networking Support.) Please be sure to update the definitions for both programs before running their scans.

I noticed you said your ESET antivirus program is out of date. Please, please immediately update it or install another antivirus program and then promptly update that one. Otherwise your computer is at risk of getting re-infected.

Microsoft has recently released a free program called Microsfot Security Essentials that supposedly actively protects against and cleans both viruses and malware. I have not used it myself, since I'm using a similar paid-for program provided by my employer, but have heard good things about it. There are also several other good free antivirus protection only programs such as AVG and Avast (at least I don't think they have anti-malware protection built in.)

Best Wishes.

Edited by Torvald, 20 July 2010 - 04:06 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 DislikesViruses

DislikesViruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply Torvald.

As I said before, I do have MBAM, and because it won't delete the viruses it finds, the problem is there. I know I need to update my antivirus, but it does still detect and warm me of viruses. I don't know why the virus somehow turned the firewall off. I plan on getting a new antivirus as soon as I get this one cleared.

Thanks for the advice, appretiate it.

#5 DislikesViruses

DislikesViruses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

Anything?

#6 DislikesViruses

DislikesViruses