Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find someone using my net

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KateetaK

KateetaK

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

How can I locate someone using my internet? I have reason to believe someone is wirelessly using my net.

Edited by Pandy, 19 July 2010 - 09:09 PM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

What is your routers manufacturer and model? :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

Arris TM502G

Yeah I have never seen this girl on the porch ever, and tonight she's been out there on her laptop. Suspicious...I want to block any outsiders from my connection!

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

That is your wireless router right? Because when I search for the manual all i find is a modem see here: http://www.arrisi.com/support/guides/_docs..._User_Guide.pdf

If this is the correct details then please see if you still have your original instruction manual.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:16 AM

That's the one. I don't see a manual. I just got a cable/internet package. Maybe the cable guy took it with him by accident?

Edited by KateetaK, 21 July 2010 - 03:17 AM.

#6 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

So what do I do now?

#7 Sneakr

Sneakr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Is the Arris TM502G you mentioned above the ONLY piece of networking equipment you have? Are there any other devices plugged into that Arris modem via the ethernet port?

#8 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

No, just the one ethernet cable is all.

#9 Sneakr

Sneakr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

Ok, and you have that cable plugged directly into a tower or a laptop then? I'm asking because what I find on that model modem is that is doesn't have wireless capabilities integrated into it so your neighbor shouldn't be able to be using your internet from her porch.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

As sneakr stated, there is no way she could be connecting to your internet if all you have is a modem.

The modem is sending the signal to only one computer and that one is yours.

In order for someone to connect to your internet you would have to have a wireless router set up but not secure. Routers are totally different from modems. No router=no network.

If she is on the internet, she's connecting by using someone else's network which is in range of where she is sitting.

She could be mooching off an unsecured connection or whoever set the network up has allowed her to connect to it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 July 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#11 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

Ahhhh thank you all so much. I didn't know that! I appreciate the responses! :thumbsup: Thanks again.

#12 MichaelB51026

MichaelB51026

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

Access to your router management web page: 192.168.1.1 (default). i believe you could find them.
God helps those who help themselves.

#13 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

Just curious as to why not just password protect your network, with the default security? Turn off any guest networks you may have, or set up a password on that one as well? Just curious as to why the open network. 

#14 jesst940

jesst940

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for responce, vcolev,

Have guest access for granddaughters friends when they come over. However they usually sign in to main, as does the gd. Could eliminate the guest account. However, have passwords on both and have changed them numerous times including 2 days ago when last breach was discovered. Those pws seem to have been of no effect. I suspect the moochers have gotten a free app to discover passwords.

Originally got the wifi because the schools in our area issued iPads for all students. Aside from that I would have stayed with hard-wired for my pc. Now most the teens have smart phones :orange:  

I have, since last post, disabled the router and did just that-hard wire to pc. When gd is home will re-attach. Temporary fix.

jesst940 :flowers: 

#15 jesst940

jesst940

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Thanks MichaelB51026,

I did access the Netgear page at 192.168.1.1 and looked through, I feel, all options. Even went into the Administration page, signing in each time. I could find nothing to block certain users, only to add. Also parental blocks which applied to web pages that I wouldn't want my child viewing. 

jesst940 :flowers: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users