Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Original Mass Effect Quicksaves

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

So, I have noticed (through periods of extreme frustration and nearly breaking a window) that the quicksave function in the original Mass Effect is severely flawed. I can't seem to save anywhere that it would be deemed necessary, and can save anywhere it is entirely unnecessary. For instance, you can save whenever you want in the citadel, but you would never need to, while during the Thorian fight, where quicksaving is imperative (due to the fact that the Asari Clones can kill you in a hit on hard difficulty and the fight is like 20 minutes long) you can't save anywhere in it, so if you die, you have to start killing it all over again, which is infuriating if you get far and get hit by a clone and have to start over.

Is there any editing I can do to the game files that can disable the restriction on quicksaving so I can save whenever I want? I must say that the restriction is a game breaking flaw and I refuse to play it unless I can change it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hi!

Aside from the legal issues (I don't think you're allowed to modify game files, regardless of the game), I don't think it can be done easily.

You'd have to modify the executable (I'm assuming you don't have the source code) using a kernel-level debugger, and then figure out how the save function works.

In my opinion, it's more effort than I think is worth :thumbsup:

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

It's fine, my game got stupid and I can't use the Galaxy Map, so I can't do anything anymore, waste of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users