Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Center on Win 7 -problems in full screen only

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donel

donel

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

I am running Win 7 32 with 4 gig of memory. I just installed an ATI Video card (R5450) because I needed just a tad more graphics power (raised index from 4.4 to 5.1). Everything went well I think. I have run many video tests and everything works fine. Except if Media center is in full screen mode. The logo will come up for about one second and then goes to a black screen and stays that way forever. The startup sound can be heard. Task manager says it is running. It is difficult to return it to a window. But as a window it works just fine. It has played every type of file I could give it. There does not seem to be any other graphic anomalies in any other programs.

I found the easiest way to get Media Center to become a window is to open it in Safe Mode, it works well there, make it a window any size up to max and then shut down and return to Normal Mode -media center opens in a window. Sometimes you can bring up Task manager, click to End Task, which it will do. Then quickly go the were the Window/full screen button is and click on it but this method is frustrating and slow The program usually shuts down faster then I can drag the mouse.

There are probable a thousand things not working right in Windows that I don't know about, but if I do know, and can't fix it it drives me up a wall.
Can anyone help?

donel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hi done!, welcome to BC did you try updating your driver for your video card,go to the manufacturer of your video card and see if they have a new driver for your card .If theres a new driver download the driver to a location easy to remember,uninstall your old driver first then install the new driver. For more info check this link installing new drivers

Edited by sleepwalker, 19 July 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#3 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for commenting. I have the latest drivers. When the problem started I checked the drivers and they were the latest. However, I did download them again and uninstalled and reinstalled without any improvement. Did I mention that it doesn't mater if you try to open Media Center with a graphic file or just open Media Center directly. Any other suggestions, please?

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

Did it work with the new video card at all,and when was the last time media center was updated ? Looking in my installed updates history mine was updated 06/22/2010 .Also you could try your motherboard video output to see if it works,you will probably have to remove the new card then you would know if its the card or if it's Media Center

Edited by sleepwalker, 20 July 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#5 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi, Thanks for sticking with me, Speepwalker,
The Problem is solved. I feel a bit stupid but I'll explain. I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to "Upgrade" Media Center. So while I was deliberating, I was messing around in Media center and went to Tasks, Settings, General. From the list I chose Windows Media Center Setup , Configure your TV or Monitor. Went through the exercise the program told me my resolution was 1680 X 1050, which I knew so I wasn't expecting much but the program insisted I go to full screen mode so I did and it worked fine!

Somehow when installing the drivers and such, something must have change the viewing mode to something unsupported.

Again thanks.

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

Well don't feel stupid it's easy to change or make the wrong setting there's so many different options,I was going to suggest Optimizing your display resolution for Media Center next,as I did a Google search and found your not the one with this issue,good to see you solved your problem. Happy viewing , Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users