Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect, Diagnostic Policy Service Doesn't Work, Firewall won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saiyahog84

saiyahog84

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Okay, so I've had an issue with Windows 7 today seemingly out of the blue. Yesterday, I restarted my laptop, and then put it in standby like I normally do. When I open it today, I can't connect to the internet, but rather than there being an orange circle, there was a red X and no connections were even available to choose from. However, my other computer, which I'm posting on right now, is connected perfectly. When I opened up the troubleshooter, it said that the Diagnostic Policy Service wasn't on. I went to the service program through the start menu, scrolled down to DPS, right clicked and hit start, and again it wouldn't turn on. Then, something popped up saying the firewall was turned off, so I attempted to turn it on, but it didn't and told me to turn it on manually. I tried this, clicking Use Recommended Settings, but was given an error message saying that windows firewall can't change my settings and gave an error code. I attempted a system restore, but when my computer restarted, I was given the following message: "System restore failed while mounting the registry from the restore point." So now I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

What I'm thinking of doing is downloading the Windows 7 repair disc and saving it to a CD, but I'd rather not have to come to that.

Edited by saiyahog84, 19 July 2010 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saiyahog84

saiyahog84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

So does nobody know how to fix this?

#3 saiyahog84

saiyahog84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Alright, this can be closed. Did a factory reset and it's working perfectly now.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

If it was my computer I would be tiring to find out how something turned off my firewall. Any time something other than me turns off a security program I get worried. What was I doing. What did I download and or what web sites have I visited. If one does not know how it happened the same thing can happen again. I would make sure my antivirus and Windows was updated.

#5 gfs123

gfs123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Having a similar problem trying to fix acquaintance computer.

Ran MalwareBytes, SFC and resintalled BFE.exe

Pending... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users