Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Overheats

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

I currently have an Acer 5315 laptop and I have had it for nearly 3 years. The past few months, it just turns off on it's own. I think its due to overheating as the laptop is usually very hot when it turns off, but i'm not 100% sure.

This may sound stupid but I can't tell properly if the fan is working. There are times when I can hear it running but then other times, it doesn't. I've tried blowing into the fan but it doesn't work that well, it still turns off on it's own. I've even tried to un-screw the bottom of the laptop to clean the fan but I couldn't take out the back cover and I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to do so.

I'm just wondering if there's any other reasons that it's turning itself off or is it really because it's overheating? Just so I know before I get it fixed, and also, roughly how much would it cost to get the laptop cleaned?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Chances are you have dust build up inside your laptop that needs cleaning out before it causes permanent damage.

If you are unsure of how to gain safe access to the inside area of the unit to effectively clean it, it is better to bring it to a service center and have them do it for you.

The only manual I found is this one at this link, I am hoping this link works. http://us.acer.com/acer/service.do?Languag...;CRC=2054404012

Edit: Sorry it does not link directly to the document page I am refering you to, you'll have to use the link above and choose your model number and link to it yourself.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 July 2010 - 05:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

I will call someone to clean the laptop.

Thank You :thumbsup:

Edited by Help Me 101, 20 July 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#4 canthavethat

canthavethat

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hi, I too have an Acer with a similar problem. I can't answer your question, but while you are working out what to do, you may be interested in a little free program I use called RealTemp. It monitors core temps, displays them in system tray, and can be set to play an alarm when temp gets critical, giving you the chance to quit applications if necessary to let the pc cool down. That way at least you don't lose everything with a sudden power shutdown. I've found it really useful.

#5 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

^Thanks for that

I'll try to download it :thumbsup:

#6 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi, I used a program called CoreTemp rather than the one suggested. When I first used it, the core temperature was around 70 degrees and reached around 85 degrees. I decided to get it fixed and the computer repair company told me that the fan isn't working so they greased it up and cleaned it.

I now started using my laptop after 2 days of being repaired and when I turned it on, the core temperature is still 50 degrees and I have only just turned on the laptop.

Isn't that still a little to high!? It's now reaching 54 degrees and I haven't even charged it or anything yet, it's been only around 5 minutes since I started using it.

Should I be worried?

#7 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

A good cleaning of the laptop will do wonders for your laptop's overheating problems. Also monitoring your laptop temperatures with some sort of software tool like the above mentioned ones (I use hwmonitor) will help a great deal cause it will make you more aware of things.

Also you should look into finding a good laptop cooler that fits your current system well. Before buying you should look at the bottom of your laptop carefully and determine in exhaust and intake openings. For my computer, I had to try 3 different kinds before finding one that fit mine the best. Make sure the laptop cooler's fans provide maximum air to the intake openings and aren't blowing cold air into an exhaust opening (which will make things worse).

Another idea you can try out is using some software like RMClock to undervolt your machine. There is a good guide here
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#8 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

My laptop is now 58 degrees. Is that fine then?

And should I try a different temperature reader?

#9 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

An idle temperature in the 40-60 range is acceptable. Your computer won't initialte the automatic shutdown until it starts hitting beyond the 80 degrees celsius range. Play a game or something that stresses your computer a decent amount and you can figure out the temperature that it gets to when it is under a heavy load.

Edited by TimYH, 23 July 2010 - 10:39 AM.

I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense

#10 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

The fan automatically turning off and on is normal. All laptops have a built in heat censor near the CPU. When it reaches a certain temp the fan will kick in and then kick off when the temps fall below a set point.

The first thing I would do is blow the fan out with compressed air. I would even take it to a gas station and blow it out at a free tire air pump. If you see dust fly out of your laptop, Id say that is the reason it is overheating. If not, I would replace the fan.

#11 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

I have already sent the laptop to get cleaned. The computer repair shop has told me that the fan has stopped working, so they cleaned it and greased it up a bit.

I have just got it back and it hasn't overheated yet, I have only been using it for about 10-15 minutes now. I checked the temperature and I just found it a bit too high, but it may be normal.

#12 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Try letting it sit idle for a bit (20-30 minutes) with the temperature monitor up. After that period check what the temperature is. Some laptops have a tendency to run hotter than others. The fan should kick in if the temperatures are getting hot for the system.

Line of Defense

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

There appears to be a slight bit of confusion developing in this thread.

To get things back on track here for Help Me 101

Not all hardware monitoring software is 100% accurate, it has a margin of error, but it does give you a basic idea of what range your core temperatures are, but not with 100% accuracy.

Next your core temperature of 50 degrees is what I call more than acceptable, all processors have to emit some form of heat, there is a lot of action taking place inside a processor that can't be accomplished without heat being the result of it, this is normal.

Every processor has a break-down point called a threshold, once the core reaches this threshold, the circuitry built into the core will react and safety circuits will shut the flow of electrons down through a circuit designed to protect the processor from possible damage from over-heating.

Depending on the circuitry built into the processor, that threshold could be set at or around a range of 90 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Cheaper processors may react to lower temperatures, then again, they may not react at all and burn open, causing total permanent damage.

I truly believe your processor was suffering from extreme heat exposer, but its safety circuit, shut the processor down before permanent damage was the result which is what a good processor is supposed to do when that happens.

I also believe your processor is now back to operating at a safe temperature zone and you should not have any problems related to the processor core over heating until, once again, dust build up has reached the point it was before the laptop was recently serviced.

You should have this service done annually, the atmosphere has a lot of dust and other molecules floating in it and the cooling fans suck a lot of that into the computer and it builds up over time.

Good luck and hope all continues to work in your favor.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Thank you very much for that :thumbsup:

Edited by Help Me 101, 23 July 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thank you very much for that :trumpet:

No problem, you are most welcomed. :thumbsup:

Please keep us informed if problems redevelop again, but I do believe you should now be in good shape for the time being. :flowers:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users