Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan runs at high RPM for seemingly no reason

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jwblue

jwblue

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Sony Vaio Desktop

E5400 dual core processor

The fans on my desktop are loud and running at a high RPM for seemingly no reason.

Here is the history of the problem.

Initially, when I booted the computer, the fan RPMs were at about 2200 RPM. After about 3 hours the RPM were at 3,800 but the temperature of the cores remain at 36 and 38.

I don't do anything that taxes the processor. Just surfing the internet and using Microsoft Word.

I sent my computer back to Sony. They replaced the fan. The problem has become worse.

Now within an hour the RPMs are up to about 3,800.

Someone suggested changing the settings of Smart Fan in the BIOS. Does anyone know how to do this? When i go into the BIOS there are no options to change any fan settings. It just has a setting for the two fans. They are both at around 2,200.

I downloaded SpeedFan, but when I click on "Configure" and "Fans" there are no fans listed.

I am using HWMonitor to obtain the fan readings.

In Windows, 7, I am using the "Balanced" power plan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

cant you tell which model Sony Vaio Desktop that you have???

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 jwblue

jwblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

cant you tell which model Sony Vaio Desktop that you have???

VGC-JS320J

#4 jwblue

jwblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

I don't know if this can help solve the problem.

When I put the computer into "Sleep" mode and then one second later, come out of it, the fan goes back down to 2,200 RPM (from 3,800 before going into sleep mode).

Could this indicate anything?

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image

Hmmm, let's face it. There's not much room in there and the built-in fans are probably a 'little too sensitive' to the temperatures generated within the case.

The noise can be bothersome, but it does serve the purpose of keeping the temperatures down, a necessity in such desktops.

When i go into the BIOS there are no options to change any fan settings. It just has a setting for the two fans.
That was the last resort, nothing much can be done now.

Placing the desktop PC in a relatively cooler environment could help. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 July 2010 - 09:00 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users