Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hesitates every few seconds and freezes a few seconds then starts this cycle over again

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 alliecatt

alliecatt

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi, I have a very frustrating problem that just reared its ugly head last night. My computer started hesitating every few seconds, freezes, then starts the cycle all over again. It's difficult to do anything: browse the internet, use applications, or even type this post. I have not added any new hardware or programs recently except I upgraded Firefox last week but it has been running fine up until last night. Plus I uninstalled Firefox and it is still doing the same thing. I have Windows XP home version. So far I have deleted several programs and many other things from my computer that I could do without, I've checked my page file to see if it was correct and it was at the suggested amount, I scanned it with Norton's and it found no viruses, I scanned with Malbytes Anti-Malware and it found nothing infected, I opened up my hard drive case and cleaned/blew out the dust however it wasn't that dirty since I do this on occasion, I made sure my memory was not slipping out, I tried to defragment but my computer said that I do not need to at this time, I restored my computer back to a previous date. None of these things have made a difference. I was sure at least restoring it back would do the trick but it did not. :thumbsup:
I'm confused to what the problem is and through my research can't seem to figure this one out on my own.
Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had similar problems?

Edited by alliecatt, 19 July 2010 - 03:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

=======================================================================================

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

I would check first...for possible overheating.

Cleanliness, temperatures, fans working, error messages...these would be the clues I use.

When a system overheats, there won't be be a direct message indicating such...but there may be errors which otherwise cannot be explained.

A tool you may want to use, SpeedFan, http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Louis

#4 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Broni, I got about that far but got an error while burning the disc two separate times. So I was unable to make a bootable disc. I have however tested my memory a few months ago using another program and it came back that my memory was fine.
Could it be my power supply?

Louis, I have a pretty clean hard drive, the fan is fairly free of dust and the temperature doesn't seem too out of the ordinarily high.

I will try the hard drive diagnostics and see what comes up. If anything, I will post that info.

#5 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

Well there wasn't a diagnostics listed for Acer hard drives so I wasn't able to run the diagnostic.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Acer doesn't make hard drives...open the system and take a look at the drive and see who the manufacturer is, please.

An alternative is go into Device Manager...click on Disk Drives...write down the detail and then look up the manufacurer, using Google, if it isn't obvious.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#7 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

For some reason I thought Seagate had something to do with Acer and I followed your instruction and went into the device manager to find the hard drive manufacturer. It didn't specifically say but there was this number: st3200827AS which I googled. It seems that is it in fact a Seagate (Barracuda?) hard drive. I'll try the diagnostics for Seagate.

#8 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Just an update. I tried the Seagate hard drive diagnostics but every time I opened the program, I got a program error saying that "an error was encountered and the program needs to close". I'm still clueless what's wrong. :thumbsup:

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Which Seagate tool are you using?
Did it create bootable CD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

I downloaded the Seagate SeaTools for Windows that was in the link you provided for hard drive diagnostics. I ran a short drive self test and a short generic test. When I tried to run the longer tests, I got a BSOD. I get a BSOD occasionally and have tried to update drivers and update Windows but I still get it randomly. I've had problems with this Acer since I've had it and Acer customer support offered me no support. I have been so frustrated that I just ordered a Dell with Windows 7 yesterday. I hope I have better luck with it than I've had with Acer!

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Pretty drastic move, but...good luck with Dell :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Yes it certainly is drastic but I've stretched the life out of this PC as long as I can I'm afraid. I've reformatted it so many times (as a last resort) because of the problems it's had and I just thought it was time to start fresh before I pulled all my hair out. Now I can put this Acer out of its misery. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your help though and I hope I have much better luck with the Dell too! :flowers:

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

I fully understand.
Once in a while, we need a new toy :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 alliecatt

alliecatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

Pricey toy but well worth my sanity. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users