Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Will Not Boot To "safe" Mod

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hornet

Hornet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

No matter how many time I hit F8 system will not boot to safe mode. Other boot process is normal. Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

Do you have Nero In CD? If so update it. It can cause the computer to not boot in safe mode but will boot normally.

If not run a chkdsk /r

If that don't work do a repair with your windows disk.

If you have upgraded to SP2 then you need a windows xp SP2 disk, here are instructions on how to "slipstream" your windows xp into a SP2 disk. www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:50 PM

What about holding down the Ctrl key while booting?

Click Start>Run then type msconfig.

Under the 'General' tab select 'Diagnostic Startup', close and reboot.

Just remember to run msconfig and return the selection to normal at some time or you will always boot in Safe Mode.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:45 AM

What about holding down the Ctrl key while booting?

Click Start>Run then type msconfig.

Under the 'General' tab select 'Diagnostic Startup', close and reboot.

Just remember to run msconfig and return the selection to normal at some time or you will always boot in Safe Mode.

hth :thumbsup:

Rimmer I'm at work and cannot access MSCONFIG but does XP have the "Show boot menu at startup" option under the ADVANCED tab like '98 and ME? This would solve the issue if it is available?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

Acklan - No, there is no 'advanced' tab and no "Show boot menu at startup" at least not in XP Home.
There is however a BOOT.INI tab which, it would appear allows you to edit the Boot menu, it also includes a tickbox for "SAFEBOOT" which looks like it might do the trick.

No experience experimenting with these options, sorry. :thumbsup:

More info here.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

I can't play here at work. The Admin has me locked out. I'm to much of a coward to hack the puter. :thumbsup: Besides I am sure they are keylogging us.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users