Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall problem/suggestion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 clairecobra

clairecobra

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hi
I have two PC's on a wireless home network. I was just using the windows firewall, and had no trouble sharing files and folders between the two. I obviously wanted something a little stronger, so I downloaded PC Tools Firewall Plus onto one of the PC's. Now the other computer can't access that PC's shared folders. Suggestions? I added the IP range of both computer's so the firewall would allow sharing, but I still couldn't access anything. Frustrated, I uninstalled PC Tools and now I'm back at square one.

So, does anyone know a simple way to enable file sharing with PC Tools Firewall?
Or, does anyone know of another freeware firewall (like on of the ones listed in the "Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps" thread) that won't interfere with file-sharing over a network?

Thanks

Edited by clairecobra, 19 July 2010 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

If its vista or win 7 just use the firewall that came with it, this will be strong enough.
If you have a router, does it have a firewall?
If im not mistaken you can use 1 hard firewall (router) and 1 soft firewall ( vista, 7, etc) :thumbsup:
lua - sandboxie - returnil. This is what keeps my butt out of trouble.

Edited by the dummy, 20 July 2010 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users