Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Problems - Keeps Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrystalDreams

CrystalDreams

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

My household uses Wireless internet and there are up to four laptops using it at one time. However, even if my laptop is the only one using it, the internet cuts off all the time. It connects, disconnects, connects, etc... Sometimes it's only about twenty times a day (believe me, this is a good day), but often the internet is lost every thirty seconds. No one elses laptop loses it's connection like mine - it happens all the time whether I am the only one using it or not, upstairs or downstairs (the router is downstairs). The laptop is a brand new Acer.
What should I do? Should I take it back to get fixed, or is it something that I can fix myself? Thanks for reading.

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2010 - 03:13 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

One of the down-falls to wireless, is the fact that it is wireless.

Wireless is a transmitted signal that travels through the air, from one device (the transmitter) to many capable devices in a given area (the receivers).

With wireless networks, both devices do the same thing in order to create a two way communications network, they both transmit and they both receive at the same time.

In a perfect situation, those two way signals make it to the intended receiver without a problem and vise-versa.

Th problem with todays perfect situation is many devices used today are wireless devices creating a mass of RF energy in the air waves around us, some signals are stronger than others and saturate the area with RF energy, other devices compete with each other on the same channel or frequency. This is called RF interference or co-channel interference.

The following devices use RF energy and can cause interference with other devices that use RF as a means of communicating with another device.

Cell phones.

Cordless phones.

Remote controls for Televisions, stereos, DVD players etc.

Other routers using the same wireless frequency.

Broadcast stations (TV or Radio) in the area.

Cordless phones can get in-between the two devices and cause a disruption in one signal or the other, in the two-way communication stream, this can cause the laptop to lose its communications stream in the meantime.

I want to add the interfering device can even be in a neighbors house or apartment. so keep this in mind when trouble-shooting this problem.

This interference can affect one device, while not affecting another one near-by, it basically depends on each devices location.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 July 2010 - 07:00 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

I am not the original poster, but

The following devices use RF energy and can cause interference with other devices that use RF as a means of communicating with another device.

Cell phones.

Cordless phones.

Remote controls for Televisions, stereos, DVD players etc.

Other routers using the same wireless frequency.

Broadcast stations (TV or Radio) in the area.

Cordless phones can get in-between the two devices and cause a disruption in one signal or the other, in the two-way communication stream, this can cause the laptop to lose its communications stream in the meantime.

I want to add the interfering device can even be in a neighbors house or apartment. so keep this in mind when trouble-shooting this problem.

This interference can affect one device, while not affecting another one near-by, it basically depends on each devices location.

is interesting.

We have cell phones (rarely used) and cordless phones. We do not have any remote devices in our house, but the neighbors most likely do. We only have one router, but neighbors probably have others.

Also, we live catty-corner from a low-wattage, church radio, re-brodcast station and antenna; where we can see the antenna out our window.

We have trouble staying connected to the internet. Two of our computers use IE 6, while the newest one uses IE 8.
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Laffnmule's Lode - if you need assistance please start your own thread. Thank you

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users