Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID Volume didn't boot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ready Killowatt

Ready Killowatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

This system has an Intel DQ35JO mobo with two WD 320 GB hard drives configured in a RAID 1 array. When the system was brougt to us, it was infected with malware. My technician connected each of the hard drives to another computer to begin the malware removal process. He used SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes to remove what they could find. When the hard drives were installed back in the computer, he got a boot error "C:\windows\system32\hal.dll-missing or corrupt", and the system would not boot. I disconnected the drive on Port 1 and the system booted successfully to the drive on Port 0. The Intel Matrix Control Manager saw the RAID array as degraded of course. I turned off the computer, reconnected the non-booting drive to Port 1 and rebooted; the computer booted sucessfully and Matrix Control Manager began rebuilding the array. Why did the computer give the hal.dll missing message and not boot, instead of booting automatically to the drive with the good OS on it? I have limited experience wth RAID arrays, but is that not the purpose of a RAID 1 array?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users