Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install freezes at 34 minutes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Trying to install XP Pro SP2 on a rebuilt HP A1410N that I fixed a year ago by having to install a new motherboard. At that time I had no problems installing XP on it. I have disabled onboard LAN and audio, removed modem, tried 3 different keyboards and mice, also ran CHDSK from Recovery Console and ran Microsoft's Memory Diagostic Check on the RAM, all tests OK. From posts on Google, I tend to believe it maybe a problem with the driver portion of the install stopping the progress.
I hope someone can help me with this as I never come acros this problem before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Is this a new or an old HDD that you are installing on?

Could be a bad HDD, could be a Bad install cd, could be a bad cd drive.

Anyfurther info would be helpful? Does it stop at one particular file? How long does it hang have you left it for A while?

System specs would prolly also help.
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267

Louis

#4 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

hamluis,

here is a portion of the end of the setupapi.log, can you tell me what hardware device this might be pointing to? copy of text follows:

#W059 Selecting best compatible driver failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.
#W157 Default installer failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I125 Installing NULL driver for "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&SUBSYS_2A3E103C&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&51".
#E122 Device install failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#E157 Default installer failed. Error 0xe0000219: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I125 Installing NULL driver for "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&SUBSYS_2A3E103C&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&51".

Edited by HomePCRepair, 19 July 2010 - 02:18 PM.

#5 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

Barajiqul,

Both the HDD and the install CD are fine. Install hangs at 34minutes and I have left it for 4 hours once. I've installed OS's for many years and it doesn't take hours to do a initial install of the basic OS.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

I've had the 34 minute hangup occur, on an earlier system I owned.

Well...PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&SUBSYS_2A3E103C&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&51 appears to be SM Bus Controller, which should load with chipset drivers.

Manufacturer and model of this "new motherboard" you previously installed?

This item should not be show-stopper...many systems don't install this item at all, while others do so with the regular motherboard driver installs.

I'm inclined to suspect hard drive, in spite of your statement...I'd certainly run the long test, using the tool from the hard drive manufacturer's website.

Louis

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

If you know the VENdor and DEVice like you do, you can look them up here:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Looks like yours of VEN 10DE and DEV 0264 equals:

Chip Number: NVIDIA SMB Bus Controller
Chip Description: NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management

Somebody looks unhappy with your video driver or hardware perhaps. Do you need to use F6 to load a video driver during your installation? Do you have a seperate video card installed or is it onboard? If add on, pull it out temporarily, reseat it, different slot, etc.

If you tell us the motherboard, we can help you look around.

This is a good way to figure out those "unknown" devices in Device Manager too...

Edited by joseibarra, 19 July 2010 - 05:53 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

SM Bus controller...has nothing to do with video, it's an nVidia system chipset driver/function.

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lo...A256CAA0049888A

Louis

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

I reckon I'm barking up that wrong tree.

Back to the audience I go while perusing my own setupapi.log file!

But we know what that part of the hardware is though :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

I have used a 2nd HDD that I know was good, and it still froze at 34 minutes. Has onboard video. The folowing is the Motherboard specs. I still don't know what piece of hardware is causing driver install issue?

Motherboard description •Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus A8N-LA
•HP/Compaq name: Nagami-GL8E

CPU/Processor •Socket: 939
•Supports the following processors:
â—¦AMD Athlon 64 X2 up to 4800+
â—¦AMD Athlon 64
â—¦AMD Sempron

Front-side bus (FSB) •2000MT/s or 1600MT/s (processor dependent)

Chipset •GeForce 6150 LE
â—¦Southbridge: nForce 430 (southbridge also called MCP51)

BIOS features •Award BIOS

Form factor •Micro ATX size form factor, 9.6 in x 9.6 in

Memory •Dual-channel memory architecture
•4 DDR1 DIMM (184-pin) sockets
•PC3200/PC2700 DDR1 DIMMs
•Non-ECC memory only
•Maximum memory: 4 x 1 GB DDR1 DIMMs, 4.0 GB total

Expansion slots •Three PCI
•One PCI Express x16

Video graphics •Integrated
•Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards

Onboard audio or audio card •Built-in Azalia 8 channel audio
•Realtek ALC883 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Onboard LAN •Realtek RTL8201CL

Edited by HomePCRepair, 19 July 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

OK...my alternate suspect-of-the-month has to be the media that you are using for this attempted install.

Louis

#12 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

I am using XP Pro SP2. I first used a slipstreamed disk but later, I used a Certified XP Pro SP2 from Microsoft. Still hangs at 34 minutes. Doesn't matter what media I use.

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

You could try draining the CMOS by removing the Battery that looks like a Silver Coin on most PCs?

It often happens to me, that is 90% all I have to do. Only thing to remember is to reset the Time and Date in the BIOS as draining the CMOS reverts the Machine's settings back to when it was first built.

From your initial Post:

Trying to install XP Pro SP2 on a rebuilt HP A1410N that I fixed a year ago by having to install a new motherboard. At that time I had no problems installing XP on it. I have disabled onboard LAN and audio, removed modem, tried 3 different keyboards and mice,

Your BIOS is probably looking for what you disabled? Then freaking out?

Some Programs add information, ever so tiny to the CMOS then to the BIOS, that just shorts out the Install Program.

If you need a Guide through, happy to give you one, Mate, but I think you know how to do it?

I have other thoughts on it but try the CMOS first?

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 19 July 2010 - 11:02 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#14 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

Already tried install after clearing CMOS using onboard devices enabled and also disabled with same results. I also reset time and date after clearing the CMOS.

#15 HomePCRepair

HomePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Still hoping someone can help me with my problem. I know it is a hardware problem with XP drivers not installing but, I need someone to analize my SETUPAPI.LOG that I posted eariler.

Someone please help.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users