Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browsers stop working 10 minutes after login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doctormel

doctormel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

This problem has been reported and discussed for years, but there is no comprehensive solution, and no systematic general route to isolating and fixing it. Most people who do manage to fix it report that it was due to an over-aggressive virus/spam/spy/etc catcher, but I've tried disabling all of mine, including my access point's firewall. Sometimes it is due to an inadvertent proxy server setting, but mine is definitely off.

Here is the problem: Windows (XP Pro SP3 in my case, but it has been reported for all versions) starts up normally, browsers work normally, but after 10 minutes the browsers stop working: they return "webpage not available" messages for any address. Internet connectivity remains for non-browser applications, e.g., ping and email.

The problem does NOT occur in Safe Mode. So a nice solution would be an interface that allowed you to boot into Normal Mode but with all the Safe Mode settings, then turn things back on one-by-one. Finding out exactly what are the Safe Mode settings is not easy, as msconfig is disabled in Safe Mode: Catch-22!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

As a shot how about comparing processess in Safe Mode and Normal mode..

You can see processess via Ctrl Alt Del

Also i would check which services are running in safe mode and normal mode Start > Run > services.msc

Then you can check the differences as you were already attempting as it seems like a good idea! Be careful before you disable any services though as don't want to comprimise your p.c in anyway!

#3 doctormel

doctormel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

Yup ... that's essentially what I'm doing. I generate lists of services, tasks, ports, comm ports, and tasks (TUT -- The Ultimate Troubleshooter is convenient), merge in a spreadsheet, sort, and compare adjacent lines, e.g., =IF(AND(B1="NORM";B2="SAFE";D1="Running";D2="Stopped");"X";" -") to see what services are Running in NORM but Stopped in SAFE. This is easy to do for services, and now normal mode is running only those that are also running in safe mode, but tasks is harder, as they start and stop, and it is not obvious that a system-initiated task can be prevented from launching even after reboot.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users