Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop from motherboard and shut-down after install..just got a replacement, dont want it to fry too! Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ncdrawl

ncdrawl

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:08 AM

OK heres the deal. My brother in law works at intel, and a couple of years ago he gave me the q6700 CPU which I then built a computer around, using an ASUS p5e motherboard...

well about two months ago all my USB ports started dying and I figured it was time for a new motherboard.

so I buy a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L to replace it. Got it in and everything, hooked it up, but on power on, I get the BIOS warning that indicated there was a power error. I reseated everything, hooked it back up, and again got the error..

welll after that happened I Started looking at te Power Supply Specs. turns out that the 4 pin connector was NOT a p4 or 12vatx but instead was an EPS12v(and the psu literature said that hooking it up would possibly cause damage to the motherboard)..so I went out and bought a PSU with the appropriate connectors, got it hooked up, hit the power button and I get a POP followed by ... nothing. No smell or anyting ,just dead...

reseated everything, and hit the power button again... a brief flicker of the diagnostic light and then silence/death..

my best guess is that I had damaged the board the night before when I ateempted to hook the wrong connector into the 4 pin ATX12v...

so I bought a new GIgabyte..should be here tomorrow.

what would cause this??? I have the standoffs installed correctly. is there something i can put between the standoffs and the mobo to keep from getting shorts?

do you suspect it is another problem??

help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

Assemble the mobo, memory, CPU, cooler, and videocard outside the case, hook up your PSU, your keyboard and nothing else. See if it posts.

What power supply are you currently using? If you are using a cheapie power supply, be warned.

As far as standoffs, make sure you don't have a standoff located somewhere besides a motherboard mounting hole. It is possible to put a standoff in the wrong place and cause your problem. Seen it done too many times.

Standoffs are supposed to ground the motherboard to the case. Putting those little fiber washers between the motherboard and the standoffs is pointless.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 ncdrawl

ncdrawl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

Assemble the mobo, memory, CPU, cooler, and videocard outside the case, hook up your PSU, your keyboard and nothing else. See if it posts.

What power supply are you currently using? If you are using a cheapie power supply, be warned.

As far as standoffs, make sure you don't have a standoff located somewhere besides a motherboard mounting hole. It is possible to put a standoff in the wrong place and cause your problem. Seen it done too many times.

Standoffs are supposed to ground the motherboard to the case. Putting those little fiber washers between the motherboard and the standoffs is pointless.

my old PSU was a thermaltake, the newone is an Antec.

so what do you think it is?? the standoff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users