Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Fan Wont Move

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bsk8r

bsk8r

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

Ok so my graphics card is a PNY Nvidia GT 220, worked fine ever since I got it.

Today I was playing Bad Company 2 and noticed my graphics were lagging slightly, and I closed out and looked at my card temperature which was at 105 degrees Celsius, it has NEVER been this high before and I knew something was wrong so I shutdown and opened the case.

What I found out is that when the computer is on, the fan ontop of my graphics card does NOT move. When turning on it struggles to move, and just stops.
Before when I would flick the fan on the card it would easily spin, now when I flick it it moves only a little and stops. It feels as if it needs oil on it or something?

I have actually got the fan moving now, but its slowly moving, not like normal. I know this is because it is 'stuck' or something, would it need to be oiled? Or maybe the fan rotors need to be cleaned out?

Im going to hopefully take my computer in tomorrow and have them either replace the fan or oil it if you can oil a graphics card fan, but can anyone help me out and tell me what you think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

if it under warranty...claim it...
if not...try to ask contact service center of you VGA brand if they cant help...
if they wouldnt help....replace the fan...usually sold with the heatsink (vga heatsink)...if you want to buy it please make 100% that it's fit with you vga...because the holder and the hole (VGA)have a couple combination...because of that you must make sure that it fit...I usually bring the vga to computer store to make sure the replacement VGA heatsink fits to VGA...

if you want to oil it...what oil that you want to use??? be careful with the oil you want to use...it cant make some component in you computer burn...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Sounds like the bearings in the fan are toast. You need to replace the fan soon before your card burns out. go to the manufacturer first if you are still under warranty. If not good ( and much more quiet) aftermarket stuff can be had from sites like www.frozencpu.com . Just be sure to read carefully as they only fit specific cards. Had to replace my setup after a brown out toasted my video card fan. Also do a dry fit of the parts before you actually apply them. I had to shave one of the memory heat sinks for everything to fit properly. Remember to use good heat paste (artic silver is my fav) and good thermal epoxy (once again artic silver) to apply the various heatsinks.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users