Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep getting this message when I rebooted:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

error: no such partition

grub rescue>

I was running a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu 10.04, both OSs were on both HDs, so I could boot up either system from either HD. Today I thought would be a good time to do a clean install on this machine, and one step I took was to delete both Ubuntu volumes off of both HDs before I used the Vista discs. When I restarted the machine I was greeted with the above message, and now I can't use Vista at all.

Here is the scenario:

I am/was using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit on an eMachine ET 1161-07.

The BIOS utility is the Phoenix-Award Workstation, which I can access.

The last time I used BIOS I set everything to "Fail Safe Default"
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

Hi,

the grub rescue mode is started when the configuration of your hard drives no longer coincides with the setup you entered into grub.

Have a look here to see what the rescue mode can do for you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Com...20Rescue%20Mode

You may be able to check all partitions present with ls and then go on to set up a bootable configuration as described in the article.

Let me know if the article helps you or if you would like more detailed information.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for your time and help. To be honest, between posting the topic and waiting for a response I stumbled across another solution. I was able to repartion the HD and reinstalled Ubuntu, just by using the Ubuntu installation disc in the trial mode. I guess when the GRUB loader found what it was looking for it stopped persecuting me.

By the way I would strongly recommend that everyone keep a copy of an Ubuntu installation disc. Its nice to know that one can at least get online and ask questions just by popping that disc into the DVD drive.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

I'm happy to hear that you sorted your problems out! And I quite agree that a ubuntu live-cd is a handy thing to have. :thumbsup:

Grub errors often look more terrifying than they really are. Only in the rarest cases do you actually loose your data, even if it looks like you can no longer access the PC.
The most important thing is just to stay calm and have a look with a live-cd or to work with the rescue-console of grub itself.

From what you describe reinstalling grub might have been sufficient too: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Rei...ling%20GRUB%202
(that can be done from the live-cd as well)

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users